Internal Journal: Future's Pesticide Remediation Tek

I think it was the 1 tablespoon of Magsil per kilo of Oleoresin we added to the Shortpath that made it come out like this.Later trials showed that with 2 tablespoons of Magsil per kilo of distillate in the shortpath resulted in waterclear.

12 Likes

I’ve tried it several different ways, and was quite unimpressed.

If I am guessing correctly, the OP is smokemeoutbruh on IG, who said it works for sure because the distilled water “smells like myclo”, without realizing most of the “myclo smell” is petroleum distillates that are likely there only to emulsify the myclo into the water. He has also in years past, when most people in the industry were unfamiliar with chromatography, claimed that cannabinoids will not move through a chromatography column at room temp, and that I would need a jacketed column with heating. So take the advice with a grain of salt as needed.

1 Like

Magsil or magnesium oxide?

1 Like

Really? That sounds weird… but then again I’m not a chemist… just a smart non classically trained engineer

3 Likes

Hey, unrelated side note. Heard your were from guar. If so good job!

That info is conflicting with what @photon_noir mentioned, basically the opposite. He said in my thread that it is the basic ph that causes it?

Odd thing is that Celite 545 which is supposedly summits filter silica, has a ph of 10-10.5. Magsil has a ph of something like 9.5 as well.

Ive also heard many times that a citric wash removes this purple/pink.

Ive also heard several times neutral being mentioned.

So I’ve heard it all so far, wondering which is correct?

1 Like

Ughhh I come across so many people with big bags of magnesol lol

I like to think of myself as an uneducated professional chemical engineer lol

7 Likes

I’ve found the pink/purple to be highly variable, same SOP will make absolutely stable water clear with some batches, bright pink with others… Safe to say we don’t really know. But talking about it in a forum like this, where we can cross reference and quote like you did, is probably our best bet forward. Thanks for bringing light to the contradiction, and for future reference I always refer back to @Photon_noir and his expert opinion

11 Likes

Hahah, I toured with gwar with another band

12 Likes

We’re considering warming the brine wash to 50c as an experiment to see if there is a visible change to the emulsion layer/color of the water as we perform our washes.

We have also included alcohol, in our case Denatured, as a carrier. We seem to get a darker, redder color out during our low PH washes when adding alcohol.

Thoughts?

@circus_animal Just for reference:
Alkali = basic = high pH = purple
Acid = acidic = low pH = pink (a specific type of pink not related to the red oxides we commonly see in distillates)
The pH associated colors can remain after pH disappears (i.e. no more water is present) if they were not neutralized prior to drying.
Sometimes, they also are subject to change with temperature treatment and possibly humidity surrounding the material. These changes are reversible. For example, a yellow sample may turn pink when subjected to cold temperature, then go back to yellow after a day or 2 at room temperature again.
This is a very odd phenomenon I found, but then I lost my samples to study, so I have to make more. I believe @anon42519203 has seen it, too.

9 Likes

I don’t adjust pH. What are you washing and for what purpose?

1 Like

@circus_animal I am aware as to why he does it. I was just wondering why you were doing it and why you chose the methods you did. I like to know the reasoning of the person I am talking to and try not to make assumptions based on “common” practice, especially when there is no such thing extant as yet for us.
Citric acid and sodium hydroxide does not make a buffer by itself. That just makes a sodium citrate salt solution. A buffer has varying salts, acids, and/or bases with equivalent ions, and usually only uses strong acids and bases to adjust pH, because those are what it is made to buffer against… specifically, they include a weak acid and its conjugate base or a weak base and its conjugate acid… something like a solution of CO3- ions from H2CO3 (carbonic acid from dissolved CO2) and NaHCO3 (baking soda) or Na2CO3 (washing soda) might be an alkaline buffer, for example.
Citric acid is special in that it has 3 weakly acidic protons, so it kind of exists in solution as its own conjugate. It should still be mixed with other things to make a good buffer against strong acids and bases, though.

4 Likes

Specifically I promote the pH swing when saline scrubbing to optimize magsils efficacy for Pesticide Remediation. I can assure that myclobutanil will be removed with this process, nothing more or less.

1 Like

I’m not chewing anyone out. You must chill. If anything you are being too hard on yourself during experimentation. This is just how it goes. It takes some figuring and finagling.

7 Likes

@circus_animal Have you tried simply not using any pH adjustments at all? What happens if you do that? Mine usually stays yellow.

Magsil is expensive, pH adjusted saline is cheap.

More saline = less magsil in my experience.

Please, run the magsil without the saline and report back on your findings.

Also, please remember that this is all freely available info on a free to use forum, and that this is science so respect the method and we can all work together to solve problems.

13 Likes

Could winterizing have some sort of affect on the pinks / purple that come with ph in balance? He never did say he winterized the material, and the degumming SOP calls for it. Any thoughts on this? @Photon_noir , @Deleted , @Future @Shadownaught

Thoughts on what? Him not saying he Winterizdd something and a random degumming tek calling for Winterization? Frankly no, I cannot comment on that kind of vaguery even if I wanted to.

3 Likes