Inline 0.5micron Sintered Filter

This would a great protective control on any membrane-based system. Great find. Do you know what absolute pressure and pressure drop it’s rated for?

Depending on size 1200+ psi pressure rating. Should be sufficient :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah absolutely. The flow rates are a little weak though. Looks like they’ll get clogged fast. Definitely could be a great “last resort” sort of thing especially if you’re using the more expensive membranes.

1 Like

They definitely clog quickly at higher viscosity.

You have to ensure that your inlet side has been adequately pre-filtered and the viscosity should be comparable to water at room temperature. Warm ethanol’s viscosity is even better.

1 Like

Is there a reason Y type strainers aren’t popular for this? The design is a bit more clog resistant and changing/cleaning the filter basket is simple enough. Inline after the low point/pour valve with a .2 micron strainer seems ideal, I just haven’t seen any filter paper baskets for strainers that fine

Typically y-type strainers are oriented horizontally—I think.

The gravity does the work of pushing particulate to the bottom leg of the Y. In this case the pour spout is oriented vertically so I don’t know if it would work appropriately

Do you have a link to a part with that design?

Essentially this but with an appropriate basket or custom filter lining, .5 or .2 micron. As of right now I don’t know of anyone producing such a thing

@phil, you can orient them downwards I believe, it’ll still catch media in the offset due to the way it flows

1 Like