Infusing food sugar with bho/oil

My package of beta is otw from Amazon, I’ve got my bho to decarb and mct to infuse :+1:I’ll update with results

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand why you’re using MCT to dissolve the BHO to get it into the cyclodextrin.

Because you don’t want to use ethanol? or butane? one or both of which were used to make the BHO (winterized?). Both of which can be removed by evaporation. I can understand not wanting to use butane in this manner. I assume you purchase your BHO.

Powdered alcohol aside, ethanol should evaporate almost completely…you can have it tested to prove so to your customers.

MCT simply requires extra cyclodextrin to hide it from the water. Which seems like a waste of cyclodextrin to me.

FDA says you can have absolutely any amount of ethyl alcohol in your product so long as you call it out. OLCC won’t let us put cannabinoids in beer, but doesn’t actually have a limit on residual ethanol in soda’s

not saying it won’t work, just making sure you’ve got a good handle on the chemistry.

1 Like

What exactly do you mean? Combining the two? Or preparation of combining ? Explain?

If I had to do it I would take 10x confectioners sugar… make shatter out of the BHO then pulverize the shatter combine the two in a processor… make sure you chill down the processors parts and the mixture before putting on machine. Then purée/whip/blend… till the heat comes which will be fast from friction of the blade … then put on a compatable liner on a sheet Pan and spread a thin layer out… place in oven between 170-200f and cook and cool and mortar and pistol or like alternating grinding and heating and cooling invervals till you have a hommagenous product… good luck…

1 Like

Wouldn’t the double boiler decarb the shatter it if you went too 3 hours at 200f?

1 Like

Yes. You would want to decarb it to make it active. Perhaps a partial decarb to make sure it doesn’t convert to CBN, unless sedation is what you’re after.

You’ll want to use a high shear homogenizer for this process. We just had a customer order another X1740 Homogenizer for this exact process. Unfortunately, they won’t share their processing method. They process 20 liter batches.

6 Likes

Wow, I need to buy that thing? Lol pretty sure I missed that post when clyclodexterin was recommended as a way to easily combine the 2. Looks like I’ll have another return to Amazon.

Previous post mentions avoiding ethanol. Also yes bho is fully purged already. It was explained I need a carrier oil and never corrected. It’s all good. Cyclodexterin is not what I want or need

I highly doubt you’ll need that. That’s for industrial homogenization, if you’re not doing around 500 ml batches that thing would just make a mess.

Are you talking about a food processor? Or another lab tool I can’t afford?

Typical food processor… I come into this field from the food industry… tho arguably I’ve been in this industry longer… lol.

1 Like

Food processor… Merck, Pfizer & Astrazeneca use this so called food processor as one of the steps in processing their experimental drugs. You folks are making products for the public to consume and it seems like it’s best to cut every corner for the sake of profits.

4 Likes

If you read towards the top you’ll notice that this guy is looking for a “garage tek” sort of concept. I don’t think he’s looking to buy lab equipment, nor do I believe he works for a MIP facility.

3 Likes

Yep, but it doesn’t really give a sound rational for why…other than somebody else told you that they had it figured out. Which might even be true.

there are folks who avoid solvents for religious reasons. such avoidance makes little sense in this particular case. Not why you’re avoiding it? Awesome. Had to check.

I don’t see how avoiding ethanol is going to result in cheaper. If it was cheaper to avoid it, then why is it in Sprite? Dunno. Looking to explore your question more fully so that you get a better answer.

Cyclodextrin not for you? OK, but when I jumped in, you’d just ordered it. You really gonna ding me for thinking we hadn’t gotten to the bottom of the question yet? Need for carrier oil not corrected? Er, wasn’t that one of the things I was trying to explore with you? (aka why are you doing that?!?)

I don’t think we’re done yet…

Givens:
you’re aiming at soda.
you don’t what to use ethanol because it’s too expensive.
budget constraints in general.

Questions:
What scale are you aiming at?
(is that 10g BHO, just the once, or 1kg a day?)

Will your soda’s be subjected to state mandated testing?
(because homogeneity counts. missing is expensive!)

Why is the sugar the best place to put the BHO?
(I’m not saying it’s not. I’m asking the brain trust here if it is)

What else is going in the soda? in general, no need for trade secrets :slight_smile:

just in-case the essential oils you’re flavouring with are a better candidate than the sugar. or the emulsion we’re suggesting should have more of your ingredients in it. Or god forbid, the flavours are actually ethanol based, and you have your “expensive solvent” solved. :wink:

I didn’t ask if your extract was purged. I asked if it was purchased. If you’re making your own BHO, then adding the sugar early is the most direct path to your requested endpoint. Another possibly was at winterization, so you got your expensive solvent back.

and yeah. it’s all good.

5 Likes

Who said I’m making something for the public? This is for me brah! I buy my bho food grade in bulk so I can stay medicated. There is no money being made only spent lol. So yea I’m trying to cut corners and use garage tech because I’m kinda broke and work outa my house, and than stay there too lol.

3 Likes

making some assumptions about OP’s scale etc.
Edit: confirmed while typing :slight_smile:

I suggest substituting an Oster Blender for the high-shear mixer @CATScientific’s customer chose to use (which gives us reasonable assumption of process feasibility).

Because the blender base will screw onto any size narrow mouth mason jar!

Now one can pulse the blender, then shake the jar.

I pick my Osters up at St Vinnies. Often just the screw on base for $2-3.

The cast Alu one came with the Cyclomatic pictured, and is my dedicated coffee grinder :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No I’m not aiming at soda, would prefer just water and a compound. More of a drink additive with way higher than normal potency.
Garage tech means all I have is an inaccurate purge methods for the solvent added.(to hot and no hood or condensor) . I too am avoiding eth because of personal reasons.the batches are 10-28g. Because a bottle of some good food grade spirit is $25 in dtla so $ is not the issue. (Lol except when a lab grade tool worth prob 1-5k is needed of course).

This is for myself, not for any state or anything like that.
I’m the cook distributor and consumer lol.

So I can use a blender, ok I may even have that brand at home too👍

it gets you homogeneous sugar and BHO made with out alcohol. which is what you initially asked for.

I’m not convinced it gets you a repeatable soda.

drop the sugar in the soda, and the BHO floats to the top and sticks to the side on the way out.

for personal use, the losses might be repeatable enough that it will get the job done.

MCT+ Maltodextrin gives an easy dosing powder that you can stir into whatever. but it doesn’t keep the cannabinoids from separating out in a water based delivery method, but I don’t mind seeing the cannabinoids on my coffee.

Cyclodextrins will give you even dispersion in a soda. but you’re gonna want to use ethanol to get your cannabinoids in there imo. (never tried).

2 Likes