Infusing food sugar with bho/oil

I got the decarb no problem. I’ll give this a try this weekend

1 Like

so you are using BHO to extract but dont want to use EtOH?
less precise: put sugar into pyrex, add butane +extract then purge
More precise: extract, refine and distill, & test extract then figure out molar ratios to achieve desired dosage, dilute sugar into ethanol, terpenes or H2O, add & rotovape or spray dry

https://www.buchi.com/us-en/content/spray-drying-encapsulation-solutions?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIneTv9oTZ2gIVD8DICh2gyQl0EAMYASAAEgKCwfD_BwE

2 Likes

Here’s an idea, it may not be ideal if you want only pure sugar and cannabis oil on the ingredients panel but it’s a simple solution for dry mixes that doesn’t require expensive equipment:

Decarboxylate Concentrate
Infuse into carrier oil
Convert to powder with maltodextrin
Mix in sugar and homogenize

You should be able to achieve a relatively tasteless powder with Maltodextrin, MCT oil and high quality concentrate. The next step, considering the sugar will likely be used in water based products, is to formulate a proper emulsion to make the oil and cannabinoids water soluble.

7 Likes

I’m inclined to think someone making sugar would be using it in baking, at least with a “garage tek”. Otherwise, the once the sugar dissolved the oil would just stick to the container.

1 Like

No. We are talking about cheaper ways without eth.

This looks like an idea, the sugar was to be used in drinks mostly. I’ll have to look into the meltodextrin.

I’ve experienced stick to the side concentrate edibles, I’ll keep an eye for it

Look up cyclodextrin it is a ring of sugar molicules. You can put a compound into the ring and send it past the blood brain barrier faster as a water soluble.

There are three types to consider as well!

10 Likes

Holy crap that sounds cool! Down the rabbit hole I go!

1 Like

Delta is the most popular as far as I’ve seen.

2 Likes

where have you seen that delta is more popular? when looking for some i could find beta and a little gama, i found this nice food grade one on ebay

1 Like

Upon further research I’m pretty sure the most common used are alpha beta or gamma. with beta having a better hydrophobic cavity for oils suspension over a longer period of time.

I am still bit of a novice with my chemistry knowledge so any correction or expansion on this would be great.

1 Like

My package of beta is otw from Amazon, I’ve got my bho to decarb and mct to infuse :+1:I’ll update with results

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand why you’re using MCT to dissolve the BHO to get it into the cyclodextrin.

Because you don’t want to use ethanol? or butane? one or both of which were used to make the BHO (winterized?). Both of which can be removed by evaporation. I can understand not wanting to use butane in this manner. I assume you purchase your BHO.

Powdered alcohol aside, ethanol should evaporate almost completely…you can have it tested to prove so to your customers.

MCT simply requires extra cyclodextrin to hide it from the water. Which seems like a waste of cyclodextrin to me.

FDA says you can have absolutely any amount of ethyl alcohol in your product so long as you call it out. OLCC won’t let us put cannabinoids in beer, but doesn’t actually have a limit on residual ethanol in soda’s

not saying it won’t work, just making sure you’ve got a good handle on the chemistry.

1 Like

What exactly do you mean? Combining the two? Or preparation of combining ? Explain?

If I had to do it I would take 10x confectioners sugar… make shatter out of the BHO then pulverize the shatter combine the two in a processor… make sure you chill down the processors parts and the mixture before putting on machine. Then purée/whip/blend… till the heat comes which will be fast from friction of the blade … then put on a compatable liner on a sheet Pan and spread a thin layer out… place in oven between 170-200f and cook and cool and mortar and pistol or like alternating grinding and heating and cooling invervals till you have a hommagenous product… good luck…

1 Like

Wouldn’t the double boiler decarb the shatter it if you went too 3 hours at 200f?

1 Like

Yes. You would want to decarb it to make it active. Perhaps a partial decarb to make sure it doesn’t convert to CBN, unless sedation is what you’re after.

You’ll want to use a high shear homogenizer for this process. We just had a customer order another X1740 Homogenizer for this exact process. Unfortunately, they won’t share their processing method. They process 20 liter batches.

6 Likes

Wow, I need to buy that thing? Lol pretty sure I missed that post when clyclodexterin was recommended as a way to easily combine the 2. Looks like I’ll have another return to Amazon.