Infused coconut oil nucleation

Woke up this morning to surprising nucleation in my infused coconut oil. I started with unrefined coconut oil which is normally thick and stable at room temp of 65’f. I was expecting my infused coconut oil to look like that this morning, instead I got this nucleation on top and the bottom remains liquid. I think it’s fine, I’m just surprised.

I cleaned out my grinders for the year, probably 7g+, wrapped it in a 100 micron nylon screen from press club. Secured the bag closed with a metal clip. Submerged kief bag in unrefined coconut oil 3 tbsp, set in oven at 270’f for 90 minutes. I would periodically steep the kief bag in the oil, lightly mushing it against the sides moving oil through the kief bag. After I removed the oil from the oven i dumped in 2000mg of soy lecithin, did not stir yet.

Did I over heat the oil causing a separation of fats? Is that soy lecithin separating because I didn’t stir it in? What’s causing this nucleation, is it perfectly normal?

2 Likes

If it’s unrefined 76 degree coconut oil it could just be solidifying

That’s the thing, I was expecting that. My end goal was to have the thick unrefined consistency.

Here’s the jar the oil came from, organic cold pressed. So thick you have to use force to dig into into it. Passed the DQ blizzard challenge, a spoon full held upside down doesn’t budge.

The oil has been out of the oven for 14 hours sitting on 65’f granite, covered, it been below normal crystallization for half a day.

This is how it’s evolved since this morning post

The bottom is still liquid. I don’t know if I got it hot enough to break the fat structure and cause the monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats to separate out and crystallize on top?

I deal with a lot of this type of coconut oil on a daily basis, it’s just going to solidify i don’t think there’s anything wrong with it

I guess I’m just surprised it’s taking so long. It made me think it might be something else

Stick it in the fridge it will speed up the process, I sell unrefined 76 degree coconut oil to stores some shops it’s liquid half the year

2 Likes

It’s normal. Happens to me too. You can put it in the fridge and it will solidify after a while.

4 Likes