Indica vs Sativa vs Hybrid: How are you labeling your cannabis?

As the title states, how are you all labeling your cannabis strains and resulting products? Guessing? Making assumptions based on perceived or actual genetic lineages? Just using what someone else told you?

After a discussion today, @cyclopath sent me this article:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41477-021-01003-y

Turns out, it’s the terps we should really be paying attention to.

Are any of you already categorizing strains (or even different phenos of strains) based on specific terpenes or combinations of terpenes, and if so, mind sharing so we can start making a real database for what to label the ever changing genetics we get to work with and/or consume? If we can get some kind of conformity and normalcy in the nomenclature we use, I think we’ll all be better for it.

20 Likes

To me the problem is the limited number of terpenes that are tested for.

6 Likes

that IS one of the forces driving me to get the head-space auto-samplers kicking around the lab actually hooked up to our SRI-310MM.

I was actually looking for this paper…

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/can.2016.0017

more than happy with what I ran into instead. :wink:

14 Likes

It looks like that’s limited to 44 “major” terpenes. I think there’s some sulfur compounds that are rather interesting also, and glanced over when considering flavor, aroma, and effects. I suspect they actually provide some of the flavors and aromas I’m fond of.

5 Likes

Sesquiterpenes (also mentioned in the first study I posted), triterpenes, thyols, and mercaptans are rarely, if ever, tested for in the cannabis industry. It takes such a small quantity of them to dramatically effect the scent (and likely modulate the overall experience) of an item. I’d love to see standardized testing move to quantifying them, too. I bet you would find more of these heavier compounds in the more sedative (heavier) feeling strains.

9 Likes

Boof

mids

Exotic

17 Likes

I label all mine with adjectives such as calm, energize, euphoric, refresh, rest. (Sarcasm)
I fucking haaate when chad companies do that

11 Likes

When I tried to tell people it was all a lie this whole time they called me a liar and said I for her can feel this a sativa.

I said nah it’s nothing I made it
Then he felt like i been stealing from him is how he acted after lmao

Disti is disti that’s it

2 Likes

The fun part of this is fighting the uphill battle with consumer education. They all think in indica/sativa which we have known for a while is incorrect

6 Likes

Let’s just say this started as push back from marketing.

“The dispensaries want indica & sativa…”

yeah?

Well your PhD molecular biologist says “they’re all #%%*ing hybrids”

Prove him wrong.

(Which is why I don’t get to talk to those folks very often)

Edit: … and I’ll work my ass off to prove ME wrong

16 Likes

don’t forget the esters and other potentially active phytos in addition to the terpenoids

6 Likes

… and if two PhD molecular biologists say “they’re all #%%*ing hybrids”… well… them I think we might be looking at an actual movement.

5 Likes

The truth is, just about everything these days is a hybrid. There’s still a few things you can find that are close to original landrace strains, but most of them have been boofed up in an effort to increase yields, etc.

2 Likes

peer review complete!! time to tell the custies!

7 Likes

As a 30-year plant scientist: “they’re all #%%*ing hybrids.” The single-cluster topology of the Phylos Galaxy dataset makes it difficult to conclude otherwise.

As a cannabis business owner that is 100% reliant on sales: if the people buying my products want/need to see “sativa”, “indica”, or “hybrid” written on the front of the package, then I would be foolish not to put that on the front of the package, because not doing so equates to fewer sales.

As a scientist, and an intellectual purist, I have always struggled with the gross disconnect between advertising/sales and what we know to be true. This is a hard one for me, and I will likely always struggle with it. That said, as a small business owner, sales trump.

22 Likes

I read an article a while back from research being conducted in the Netherlands where the researcher had supporting evidence that terpenoids were found in greater abundance in Indica strains vs hybrids/sativas. I will see if I can find the paper. Kind of supporting the claim that the terpene/terpenoid profile is more indicative of effect.

Its so painful and hard sometimes but is the game we play!

4 Likes

It was this paper by the great Arno Hazekamp

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/can.2016.0017

4 Likes

That is the one! thank you!

Yield and flowering time are likely key drivers here. As one would expect, wild cultivars, landraces, and inbred lines do not yield well. High yield requires breeding and selection. Breeding is hybridization.

3 Likes