In House analytics

Terpenes/essential oils. We do Cannabis derived essential oils. We have mastered the art of making amazing smelling, great tasting, beautiful, reproducible oils (can one really mastery Mother Nature?)

We’re like a prestigious old winery that wants to use more technology on its product to better understand what makes our wine so great (the secret is love). I’m reaching the limitation of what I want to do with GC alone. It will have an olfactory attachment too.

4 Likes

I work at SRI Instruments. Yes, you can install multiple columns.

1 Like

I work at SRI Instruments. The owner of the company Hugh, happens to be my father. Contact me, or speak with Hugh and say Summer referenced you through Future 4200.

Our Cannabis Potency Gass Chromatographs are also a big hit with the alcohol industry.

My science project in 4th grade was an, “electronic nose”. Adding on an additional detector might meet your needs.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s called shit that gets you written up in my book

2 Likes

I work at SRI Instruments. Are you using MSTFA? we have a video on your YouTube channel SRI GC Training, “SRI GC Derivatization for cannabis potency testing”.

Does anyone have an affordable source of C18 silica plates for TLC?

It’s looking like $400-600 for 25 plates from Sigma-Aldrich or SorbTech…

1 Like

I did not realky started this yet…
Thank your for this information. I will have a look.

Had a look into various paper, I was going to test both bstfa and mstfa, also different solvents. I like tuning the methods.

Do you extract or synthesize the aromas? Or both?

Both.

Hi everyone, I’m just barely starting to learn about chromatography and I made my first attempt at separation with alumina and acetone. dcvc style. I’m trying to order the right tlc supplies.
I understand I’ll need a uv light, But do I need flourescent indicator also?
I found a pack of alumina plates without indicator for $50 and the best price I see with 254nm indicator dye is $180. Or are there less expensive options? I’m on a tight budget, trying to learn how to make something happen. Also which wavelength UV light?
I’d sure appreciate the advice, I’ve spent 4 hours trying to figure out what I need and where to buy that I can afford

1 Like

UV shadowing is not the best way to visualize cannabinoids. It will probably work, but I do not believe it is as sensitive or informative as “fast blue”

Quick search suggests you will either need the right plates or an indicator dye to uv shadow.

Also suggests Fast blue is cheaper…

Great! Fast blue looks promising, maybe not the cheapest, but if it’s more informative, that’s ok. About How many tests do you get from 10g fast blue b or 1g fast blue bb?
I was also looking for something fluorescent I could possibly spray or coat on the cheaper plates that don’t have it built in, but no luck finding that either.

Also found these recipes, has anyone tried any of these?

Cerium Sulfate
General stain, particularly effective for alkaloids.
Recipe
Prepare an aqueous solution of 10% cerium (IV) sulfate and 15% sulfuric
acid.

Ferric Chloride
Excellent for phenols.
Recipe
Prepare a solution of 1% ferric (III) chloride in 50% aqueous methanol

Vanillin
Very good general stain, giving a range of colors for different spots.
Recipe
Prepare a solution of 15g vanillin in 250mL ethanol and 2.5mL conc.
sulfuric acid.

Separation and Identification of Cannabis Componentsby Different Planar Chromatography Techniques(TLC, AMD, OPLC) (296.0 KB)

It’s probably also in the data dump…

2 Likes

I use a sage and it’s a useful but limited tool

1 Like

The sage is useful for its portability- when orange photonics came to demo for me they had issues with the testing being complicated. In the 45 minutes of setting up I could have run dozens of sage tests. This is why I didnt grab the orange box.

1 Like

I found a good source for the Molecular Structure and Boiling points for all cannabinoids

https://7leaf.life/blogs/news/types-of-cannabinoids

1 Like

Is that supposed to be a link?

1 Like

We use the shimadzu cannabis analyzer and its an excellent hplc for cannabinoid profiling but its certainly not the instrument to be using for terpene analysis. The cannabis analyzer software has like 4 buttons so a toddler could probably get a sample running but it also comes with labsolutions which gives you plenty of freedom to edit parameters and thats what we use for analytics. For terpenes we have a shimadzu GCMS-QP2010 with FID and the HS20 headspace analyzer for terpene profiling. Ive been working to get it up and running and while its a an amazing tool its definitely a bit more complex than their HPLC. Their support is definitely helpful and they give plenty of helpful resources but the instrument still requires some method development before you can start running standards.

Hey @srihugh1 @SummerSRI and anyone else who may know, is there a way for me to use the auto sampler on my Agilent 1100 HPLC with my pair of SRI 8610c GC units? I know one of the reasons GC can be made more accurate is with the use of an auto sampler and I’d love to link everything up. Soooo excited to have the whole system married if it’s possible!

3 Likes

that would be sweet…and no, not happening.

I’d love @srihugh1 to tell me I’m wrong.

3 Likes