In House analytics

Ya I was bidding on an fid, fpd, tcd GC earlier but stopped my bid at 600 bucks lol I’m cheap

2 Likes

waters or agilent HPLC with DAD, perfectly applicable systems can be had in the 10-15K range on ebay, or even from used manufactures now. so easy, no gas tanks, no trying to source helium (becoming a real issue!) no hydrogen in the lab, more accurate, and you get acid and neutral cannabinoids…

1 Like

No argument here…

I am however waiting for fedex to drop my SRI420 any moment now.

Not because it’s a brilliantly accurate machine, but because it should fit in the overhead compartment, so that when I come to your house, I can bring my own analytics

Tried a Sage (again) yesterday.

It said we had 10% CBD in our input, and none in the output, but the silly thing also said we went from negligible thc to 10% upon extraction.

Not a useful response!!!

2 Likes

Oh the brief case hplc systems are coming. Microfluidics and solid state detectors. Woun’t be cheap.

I like the form factor and functionality of the orange photonics, but the price point is problematic for me right now.

long term it seems to offer greater functionality in a smaller package, and that is definitely a win for drag-around analytics.

Yeah moblie testing is not something on my radar. But I can see the why some would need it.

One can dream

maybe it’s just me…but if I’m gonna bother coming into somebody’s lab to install extraction equipment, I want to show them where the cannabinoids are going…

…and ideally set them up to do that for themselves so they can study for those 3rd party tests :wink:

420 is here!

not quite small enough to fit in the overhead bin in it’s carry case, but it is luggable. now the fun part…

2 Likes

In my case I use GC-FID, using a second hand Agilent 6850 and a HP35 column.
So far I have been using for potency testings of various type of materials (herb, extracts, tinctures), and mainly dealing with CBD rich products.

The list of cannabinoids I look at: CBD, CBDv, CBD, CBG, CBN, delta9-THC, delta9-THCv, delta8-THC and CBL.

I’m very satisfied by this system, which is pretty robust and easy to handle. In use the same device since more than 3 years, and actually do very minimal maintenance on it.

Now I’m considering to expand the analyses toward the acid cannabinoids on the one hand, and all the other lighter terpenes on the other hand. For this I’m clearly envisioning to buy a second GC, from the same brand. I’m quite interested in getting a Agilent 6890, with dual columns and FID detectors…

The idea of having a dual column would be to use two different polarity, and improve the resolution for these two next methods.

Does someone have some experience with such approach ?

3 Likes

LI got mine a week ago and love it!

It is definitely more of a qualitative tool than a quantitative one, it would probably frustrate most analytical chemists.

But it looks like it will do what I need. Allow me to drag it around the country and optimize solvent to biomass ratio and extraction temperature on my Ace30 installs. I’ll post a write up when I get a chance.

3 Likes

@cyclopath To be clear I’m an engineer employed by Merlin Instrument Company, however I’m on this forum for personal interests and an extraction side business. I just thought I would mention Merlin makes a handheld manual sample injector (Microshot) for GC’s. This could be a lower cost solution compared to autosamplers for repeatable injections. Most customers are using them in the field with non-chemists. You can find more info on their website (merlinic.com). Again I’m not a marketing sales person, just thought it might be a solution to your repeatability issues.

1 Like

THANK YOU @NMK

Even if you were in marketing, and looking to make the sale, this is an appropriate space for that sort of thing.

It probably won’t solve the problems with the SRI-420 (which Hugh tried to talk me out of), but it might make a world of difference for there other offerings.

1 Like

Do you derivitize? I’ve been told that the GC is inconsistent at measuring THCa without chemical modification due to inconsistencies in decarbing.

I can see @cyclopath setting up “shop” in the air port lobby waiting for his plane and testing ppls meds.

Lol

1 Like

Getting DI water for the H2 generator in the terminal might prove problematic.

And you’re not supposed to have test samples there either :joy:

3 Likes

Well arent you the fun-governor then?

Ha ha

I thought tsa said ok to travel in med states wit it.

I’ve had TSA tell me the were required to intervene AND hand me back my meds, so I’m not sure if they have their story straight.

It’s actually too big to carry-on in its OEM case anyway.

So far I don’t do this. Derivatization is necessary for differentiating acid and non acid form of each cannabinoids. Otherwise, they are all decarboxylated in the injector (as long as the injected sample is not too concentrated).

This week I received a new machine, a GC 6980 with a double line (two autosampler, two injectors, two columns and two detectors). I will use this one for the total cannabinoid analyses (after complete decarboxylation). In turns, I will use the smaller 6850 for analyzing derivatized sample. Such approach requires extra steps in sample preparation, and more maintenance of the machine (the derivatization agent leaves more residues).

2 Likes

I love our old 6890. I’m setting up the second to run HS-GC-MS.

1 Like

Ha !
For what purpose do you intend HS for ? Solvents ? terpenes ?