Imploded Materials Column 6x48 BVV

Hello future4200. I’m writing today regarding an imploded 6x48 BVV Materials Column run on a CLS.

Long story short-ish— one day the Biomass socks we utilize were not easily packing into the column and upon greater inspection I noticed the column had internally taken on an oval shape, implying an implosion. It’s a jacketed column and the jacket showed no sign of stress, nor did the collars. Pressures are always under 70psi runnin N-game and 70/30 butane propane blend, the vac is only 1/2 a horse… it’s chilled inline with the solvent tank on a Poly Sci chiller floating Nu-Therm that hovers around -18C. Has anyone else experienced this with BVV equipment or otherwise?

I’ve reached out to BVV and was in touch with a rep named Nick, we exchanged an email regarding it and then they went silent. I reached out over email a few more times in addition to calling in but I still haven’t been able to reach anyone regarding this issue and it’s been a couple weeks. Maybe the state of the world has them on slowdown?

3 Likes

Sounds like an employee dropped it or something?

3 Likes

That’s kind of what I wondered, too.

2 Likes

Crazy, only 70 psi! I wonder what the wall thickness of the tube is?

5 Likes

:pleading_face: rooting for you but expecting: China handles all returns.

Kidding. You’ll probably get ahold of someone who wants to do you right. They’ve got numbers. I’d dial back for a different rep

1 Like

I believe it’s 3MM.

1 Like

3MM…talk about some seriously unethical folks.

Thank god you weren’t running liquid CO2 :frowning_with_open_mouth:

14 Likes

Is that less than normal? I’ve seen that thickness another manufacturer but don’t know much

1 Like

I don’t think they check their equipment very well if at all for spools. I got a 1.5 inch regular spool with a noticeable bulge in it. At that size with no jacket it should have been noticed if anyone bothered to look. I’ve had the best luck reaching them with the live messenger on their site but it’s still a wait.

1 Like

Higher end equipment like the bizzybee columns are either 5 or 6mm, so yeah, it’s on the low end for sure!

5 Likes

What was the jacket pressure? Are you chilling or heating the jacket with fluid?

3mm is .109 wall, that is what we use.Check out page 53 the 12 guage tube burst is 2543 psi.

FelkerCatalog071406-WEB.pdf (1.9 MB)

@Bottomshelfbastard looks like it was collapsed via vacuum, you want to try one of our columns?

3 Likes

Is there a difference between burst limits and vac? I honestly don’t know, but imagine that a tube would have greater strength when the pressure is going out instead of pushing in on the walls. But I could be wrong.

1 Like

I want your vac pump!

5 Likes

Failures from internal pressure rarely cause renting/buckling like that (the pressure more or less keeps them round). That being said, I wouldn’t think 15 psi external would do that to a 3mm wall spool. I tend to agree with the thought that it may have been dropped.

3 Likes

That was my comment about being dropped and it was a mistake because i re read his post and its jacketed.

A noodle scratcher indeed.

1 Like

yes, burst is the max psi before boom. The inside tube probably needs a middle support to the outer jacket to stiffen it.

This is an old pic from skunkpharm, see the rib around the oven in the center? The rib acts as a support.

this is from draining h20 from a tank car without the air vent at the top being opened.
Atmospheric pressure is strong, especially when it has a lot of surface area to act on.

10 Likes

:joy: Harbor freight special, knock yourself out bud!

2 Likes

3CFM 2 stage with warranty… u know it

2 Likes

most implosions are from the jacket and force being pushed inwards not out, usually due to the chilling fluid being condensed when cold and then expanding when warmed up, if it has no where to go that pressure is enough to bend stainless like nothing. If there was a block in the part where the chiller fluid goes back to the chiller it could have expanded.

I saw a 6x24" column so imploded the sides on the inside of the column were touching each other all from either user error or a faulty valve where the fluid went from -80 to room temp with no where to go because the liquid condenses and gets smaller the colder it gets.

11 Likes