Illuminated Extractors x ChemTek Workshop FEB 26-27

With 8, 6" columns you talking about 120 lbs of ff. If 70% of that weight is water I would assume 2 sieves would not be enough. I run 2, 6x42" molesieves and it has to be changed every day, and still find moisture getting by the sieves.

Ive also never added heat to my material columns to recover butane off them. Im just wondering how they handle the extreme moisture at that temp. Overall I think there system is dope, just have some questions the more it think about it.

3 Likes

There’s a better way to sieve the water out. Beads don’t work because the vapor is not forced to go inside the beads. Instead it just goes around the beads

4 Likes

My HTE pour offs look like those you’re talking about, where there is no foaming or pressure behind it, just a thick liquid coming out the ball valve

4 Likes

The road turbo is one of our smallest machines, it runs on two 091’s and does not really get past 5lbs per minute. This unit operates on 12lb of solvent so I want to stop at 1-2lbs residual. Again, typically we have cannabis clients run 70/30 for easy pour-out, then it simply crashes on its own overnight. This provides the liquid pour outs everyone is used to.

Fresh frozen is kept frozen until the end of the run, same process as dry except we don’t heat the bio. Live does see a little higher solvent loss because of this.

As for the water, like @Waxplug1 mentioned, there are better ways. It was interesting to see he was working on the same methodology we are going after. This is not something new but definitely new to our industry.

1 Like

Great minds think alike. I was tired of dealing with water freezing up in my coils or dip tubes. That’s what got me to start looking into other ways. I also have another idea I’d like to bounce off you on how to speed up recovery with even less energy

5 Likes

Liquid vapor separator

Good for keeping oil/hash/solvent out but not water…

3 Likes

So the designers of the machine could only get 25% of the runs to come out correct?
How many runs have you guys done on this machine? Why is it so unreliable?

2 Likes

They did a pop up demo. I usually have have few issues to dial in when installing systems.

3 Likes

Can you elaborate on this?

2 Likes

We’ll it’s like John said, with propane you got seconds of a window. Imagine trying to catch that window while answering questions during the demo. With 70/30 you can get it every time. He used propane because I wanted to see how it could separate the HTE from the THCa as it pours

5 Likes

Or maybe they were busy talking

3 Likes

Got caught up in conversation each time. But also we typically do this process in the multi-use column so there is more control. In this instance, it was used for CRC so the GD1 was utilized instead.

1 Like

id still like to see potency test on ran material. Do you have that data @Zack_illuminated

1 Like

Zack did I meet you guys at the nyborg seminar in Portland? (Years ago)

Don’t think I’ve ever been to one of those…

1 Like

I can test it. The material was some older trim tho. I wanted to see what a shorter chain hydrocarbon like propane would do without crc. The color came out like crc which usually would’ve been black with butane

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cak6eQePGmV/?utm_medium=copy_link

4 Likes

thanks, just looking to see amount of cannabinoids and terps leftover in the biomass after the extraction especially with lowest solvent to material ratio in the industry.

I don’t know why me tagging the owners about this 2x hasn’t been responded to by them.

3 Likes

I love propane more than hank hill.

I remember running my first bhogart in 2014 with 100% P and getting a very clear separation of terps and cannabinoids in the collection pot with every run. We always called it cornbread and honey lol.

Propane makes the magic happen.

3 Likes

We have tracked plenty of data at our local facility running the Behemoth on hemp. In the past, I have also tracked runs with my GC to see what the best ratio is for propane. Along the way we learned some interesting things about it’s solubility to various cannabinoids.

I am not actively over there so I can see what they have on hand these days. It is very important data with large volume processing.

1 Like