If you're running a crc, why run cold?

I’ve dewaxed pre collection and post collection , and I never see a difference as long as the extracts pasted threw crc media that is relatively fresh. Anyone tell me the point of going threw all the extra effort of running cold with a crc ? Is it just for non crc ?

1 Like

Run cold and you can use less media. Meaning your terp profile is affected less.

21 Likes

I started to reply and then remembered that bees don’t explain to flys why honey is better than shit.

36 Likes

Beyond anything else running cold is a massive safety net. Room temperature extraction raises the chance of blowing yourself up about 100x

22 Likes

I only run outside when it’s 31 ish or less and 100 percent butane . Used to run a mix and needed dry ice to help move the gas were I need it to go … but now that I have pure tane I can leave the nightmare of dry ice in the past ( expect for small head stash crcless pure nugg runs)

1 Like

Maybe because colder extracts less impurities, less media to use. I only use two media’s with great results in small amounts, about 500g media per 10lbs or so biomass. Running warm might change the media to biomass ratios your using now.

I run the same ratios basically warm with great results

Sick, well aside from the safety issues your good then.

Edit: some people like running warm solvent when using crc. I think whatever works for you is fine. I’ve ran warm too with good results, different ratios though.

Anyone ever see a difference via a detector with cold vs room temp. It’s literally the difference between watching a puddle of butane slowly offgas and a unnoticed leak escape and quickly go well above the lower explosive limit.

3 Likes

The answer is bc less impurities…which causes the crc to have to work less in turn allowing u to use less media like said above. Once the media has absorb all it can it doesn’t do anymore work. Sending fats wax and lipids through it just packs it full of bull crap instead taking the color of the target molecules

Pretty wax plug advocates running your CRC warm and not baking media

@Waxplug1 do I remember that right? You spoke about the moisture in media being helpful

1 Like

I run only room temp and have zero issues with clogging or massive amounts of lipids, running a 1 micron and sub micron as the last catch all and my crc can handle 12-24 tubes with no problems and great color. If i was running for diamonds etc then yeah cold injection but with a large system you run into psi differential’s and using nitro to push is counter productive on my set up

7 Likes

I think we should all be jacketing our crcs. You could run cold through the biomass and prevent the clogging issues by keeping the crc warm. @anon88836658 yes the water helps with clarity in the oil. Ppl bake it out to prevent clogs, however it would be easier to just jacket the crc as stated above. The moisture is also a pro-oxidant so make sure to use an alumina layer at the end to remove as much moisture as possible to slow the oxidation process of your extract

12 Likes

Would keeping the crc cold and material column cold give it a chance to swell fats to be caught in the powders like a winterizing

If I’m running butane at about 30 ish degrees should I still jacket and add heat to my crc ? I assume 30 isn’t cold as far as extraction goes but not necessarily warm either. I don’t have any clog issues but maybe it would speed up the flow rate? That would be great

1 Like

Do you use nitrogen?

No I just push with butane gas

1 Like

I was doing that. It works, but nitrogen is about 100x more convenient.

If pushing with butane vapor will get you going, nitrogen is like getting nitrous for your racecar. It really kicks things into turbo gear to be able to feed 100PSI for pushing through the CRC, and just bleed that pressure out after. Nitrogen bleeds out before butane, so it’s simple AF to work with.

Pick up a nitrogen tank and a regulator, you won’t regret it.

5 Likes

That would explain why ETS sells their CRC systems jacketed with a recirculating heater to keep them around room temp.

I have one of your jacketed 4" crc columns. I’ll definitely try filling it with warm water and running unbaked W1 soon.

3 Likes

If you don’t have clog issues it’s not a big issue but jacketing the crc will give you more control of the parameters. Also at the end of the run you could really get all the vapors out of the crc just like you would in your material column by having it jacketed.

If you have a buffer/surge tank, you could jacket that as well and put heat on the jacket when you need it to push over into the crc instead of using nitrogen to push

7 Likes