If you're running a crc, why run cold?

I started working at this job and they have the CRC column chilled same as the material columns at -45C. We use CRX from mediabros for FF. I hit mediabros up cause I get CRC clogs sometimes. I asked if it is too cold but they tell me it should run better colder as per their manual. Any thoughts on this? Also your posts are being really helpful for me. Lots of thanks and respect.

3 Likes

is the material warmer thn the crc and water i getting into the crc and then freezing. crx shouldnt be clogging at all/

I don’t think the material is any warmer. We keep the socks at -80 C. I don’t understand what you mean by warmer than water though.

im confused why the media bros is clogging. I thought maybe liquid water could be entering the crc which was chilled but it sounds like you have it all chilled. Media bros shouldnt clog IMO.

Its probably not your granular media clogging its the sintered disk that clogs.

what micron is your sintered disk and are you using papers on top and adding any depth with cotton balls on top of the paper and disk?

4 Likes

The reason the crc is clogging is because the material which is FF is high in thca content. At those temperatures you will 100% drop out and lose thca in the filtration process. The media absorbs solvent, removing solvent and being that cold will push thca out of solution. The thca that drops out looks like this white part when it does. The thca is what clogs the crc when it falls out of solution.

If you were to run HTE instead at those temperatures it would not clog because there would be no thca to drop out.

That is why I recommend to run the crc at room temperatures to not only improve the interaction between the oil and the media but also to improve the flow rate and prevent thca from dropping out during the filtration process since we’re starting from biomass.

Using granulars only limits your control of the filtration process to where you have to run cold and regulate the flow. This will work for older material which is low in thca but it will hurt high grade material by removing thca. For regulating the flow, that is determined by the particle size of the media. That is why silica 60 flows slower because it’s very fine powder. Using Silica150 would provide a faster flow. Also it is determined by the diameter and depth of your cake.

Scale no higher than 8” in height. After you hit 8” start to widen the diameter. Pair that with nitrogen push in the range of 35-65psi and you can flow just as fast as granulars if not faster by controlling the parameters discussed without having to sacrifice efficiency or potency.

17 Likes

The nicest CRC rack I’ve used was the double jacketed CRC from headydabber/AMP and it was heated. Obviously cold extract though.

3 Likes

when not using premixed granular like media bros what do you use? custom mix or something like lustermax? I have limited experience and have used my old ghetto mix before i really knew anything about crc- black oil from using my own ground up carbon. then i got a celite bed. and then i found this website and tried w1 and it was ok, then media bros and now im using lustermax and like it.

1 Like

Whats the benefit to heating a crc? Besides pushing out any leftover bho at the end of a run.

I think it is so thc doesn’t crash out and cause clogs?

1 Like

Was just confused because I thought u could also cause wax clogs by evaporating bho in ur crc. Assuming by heated he means still relatively cold just not as cold?

Are you keeping the clay off the sintered? the source of your clog could be clay in the ss sintered.

1 Like

sintered isn’t the problem… cause right now we don’t even use sintered… just coffee filters. I’m trying to convince ppl we need a better filtration system tho. another story

1 Like

Dude you definitely need to filter better. Media will get past coffee filters. 20 microns is nothing. Media in your extract should all you need to say to the higher ups. For the consumers sake please filter better. In the scheme of thing filters are cheap. I mean at least use filter papers. You can get down to 1-3 micron with those.

6 Likes

For sure. I feel the same way and am working my best to fix that. Problem is with so much cold, I have been clogging with pretty much everything I put on there. No CRC tampon tek and 5um sintered clogged on me. Currently running No CRC until I fix this if that makes you feel better.

2 Likes

Stage your filtration with sintered disks. 50 → 20 → 10 → 5-1 ->.5 → .22

7 Likes

Well that’s good. Im just going to say its kind of hard to diagnose someones problem without an understanding of how your system works. Maybe a little more detail on your process, starting material will help. I will gladly help but as of now it could be anything. Since you are not running crc now does it still clog? Have you checked your lines for obstructions? Could it be frozen water clogging a line? Are you using nitro assist?

2 Likes

This.

If your material is pre-ground or you’re grinding it this will cause clog problems too.
Get it super cold and smash it up.

It was clogging when we were using CRC. I don’t agree with the setup but we fill up abt 600g of CRX in a 6inch puck(or disc with perforated bottom) with coffee filters on the bottom. And that is it. My question would be - even though the media bros tell me it is better to run colder, would you think it would be better to leave the CRC column at room temp instead of chilling it cold. I’m thinking it will be cold enough for running granulate even if I stop chilling it, because my solvent and other columns are pretty cold. I am quite sure no clogs in the lines or anything. CRC comes out rock solid when it clogs.