If I Decarb under Vacuum, would I avoid Oxidation?

winterized then vac oven?

iso doesn’t drop fats as well as ethanol or methanol Iso vs ethonal

2 Likes

No slab goes into 10:1 alcohol then witerized two days minimum then filtered heated in roto to recover alcohol then to mixer for terps if added but generally just heated then in to the cart farmer. No cuts or terps.

1 Like

that’s is a waste of 60 hrs imo…

No need to purge crude that’s going to be winterized?

I would posit that you’ve also been huffing quite a bit of iso… if you’re recovering your solvent, why not use food grade ethanol?

It decarbs in the roto though no?

I’ve also heard this. Purge to the bare minimum reaction then a touch of Ethanol while under heat to dissolve the extract. I’ve been told it would loosen the product up and allow the butane to escape and since it boils at 0c by the end result all butane should be gone.

I was also told it’s a load of crap. However since my first time Winterizing I’ve been doing this. And so far have had no strange occurrences or strange consistencies in the product.

2 Likes

At least partially at that temp I would imagine.

Drop that advisor. They do not know that of which they speak.

1 Like

The consistency of that slab is shatter you’re saying?

Purged for 60hrs, THEN bought up in iso.

Iso mostly removed in rotovap

Yeah it was good shatter but I had nowhere for it to go. Seems like the carts are more appealing where I’m at. And that was the only reason it was purged so long before I decided it was going to the cart project.

1 Like

Consider me stumped then. If that’s a glassy shatter texture then yeah it would barely have residuals and definitely not be enough to cause the runny consistency I was describing. I figured it would be more of a taffy consistency. Maybe you’re decarbing even more than I would have thought in the roto. You’re definitely getting unique results.

until it was bought up in iso…

in my experience, a rotovap will NOT pull all the solvent unless you take it up to decarb temps. 180f for an hr won’t give complete decarb. not certain it will remove all the iso.

3 Likes

That I did not know. I’ve never used ISO in my life other than to clean surfaces pretty much. I prefer ethanol/d-limonene for glassware. I was assuming ethanol. With ethanol there is a point where it will be just runny enough to “work” in a cart but would surely be an unsafe amount of solvent to inhale. Especially if it’s decarbed even partially using a higher temp purge. Definitely not a good way to do it and the residual ethanol will lead to a lot more leaking issues too.

If it’s a nice solid glassy shatter then it would not be enough residual ethanol for this effect (but I would not know for ISO). At first I was thinking it’s probably decarbing somewhere in the process but at this point I’m just blindly guessing on their results without seeing labs on the residuals/THCA. Perhaps the ISO is the culprit for such unique results but I have absolutely no experience handling anything that used it. If the carts were leaking an unusual amount when they get warm I’d think it’s solvent.

Good to know. What about food grade 200 proof?
If boiling point of iso is 170- or so and no reaction left in roto I figured we were clean.

he made shatter.
THEN winterized with isopropanol

no residual hydrocarbons.
quite possibly residual iso.
some decarb also likely.

2 Likes

Ah, that makes much more sense, thank you for clarifying that step. So this was not a glassy shatter going into the carts. He mentioned it being shatter so no solvent but dissolving it back in ISO would change that completely. That’s what had me totally stumped. In that case I go back to suspecting there’s some alcohol in there still.

2 Likes

that’s what analytics are for. get a residual solvent test done. you may be close. you might not be. really depends on how hard you were sucking at that temp.

I will. You guys have me curious as well but happy to say no I’ll side effects.

This is the third time you have told me this person has given me bad advice. Now I just feel silly. The person was a Reddit Mod for a large cannabis sub etc… However glad to hear their advice is BS because it means my current process isnt all that bad.

1 Like

Im unsure. They’re the PCKT carts. There are 4 but 2mm unsure. They’re very small I suspect better to use with a looser oil.

Tonight I am filtering a Winterized solution and getting ready for the purge. I did @GroovyOctopusLabs’s Tek again with a touch more bud this time. But I fear that my hardware sucks for my product. Can you recommend something for me for a ticker oil?

It’s either that or I have to invent the hardware myself because nothing has worked well for me so far.