Icing. Can it be done? If so how?

I’m new to cooking so I really don’t know much. Especially the science involved in it. It might be funny to some but I would really like to be knowledgeable on what I’m doing. Which is why I came here so I can get advice, techniques,learn, ect…

1 Like

Exactly. You can’t just add butter, you need to fix the ratio of other ingredients as well. At that point you might as well save some $ and make your own that will likely turn out better. Lots of easy recipes out there that you can follow.

4 Likes

I wasn’t upset it just came off a little rude but thank u for the advice

1 Like

Icing is super easy. Once you start whipping it all together and are playing with the texture of it you can add more powdered sugar to thicken it up. Or more milk to thin it out. A little bit of milk goes a long way in icing.

Once ready use immediately or store in the fridge in an air tight container.

Just consulted my local expert, the wife

4 Likes

If you really want a cake that’ll bake your socks off, infuse butter, infuse heavy cream, infuse sugar.

Follow desired cake recipe, use butter for fat in cake. Bake it.

Use butter for icing, take crystallized infused sugar, mill down into fine powder, use in icing, take infused heavy cream, use in place of milk for icing. Flavor icing to taste with desired flavoring.

Ice cake up, slice & enjoy.

(Ps if you don’t decorate it you’re a simp)

1 Like

Sorta curious if warming it up slightly and just mixing in disty would work? It just needs fat and/or sugar to bond with and there’s both already in there. But, heating it up may damage its consistency anyway

2 Likes

Good point, I’m sure he’d have much better luck utilizing the butter/oil that’s already present. I imagine the change in consistency would also be the most minimal with that method. I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work, might just have to add a little extra sugar to it.

I want to try this now

1 Like

deleted

1 Like

Yeah, it should work the same as adding disty to your home made and require minimal tweaking. Let me know if you need a guinea pig :wink:

3 Likes

Hey so I’m gunna make the icing today I canted to use flavoring so I got some of the loranns oil. That’s the best thing for flavor right? Do u know how much u would use? I’m going to be making small batches like for 12 or less cup cakes. So I saw something that said about 1/4 tsp for 3 batchs. So would I use like a drop lol from the amount I’m using it for.

1 Like

Yes start low. Loranne oils are potent.

I have some choc arriving today.

A teaspoon is 5 ml so… A quarter is a 1.25, a third of that about .4ml

2 Likes

I’d start with a small amount and go from there. Tasting it as you go. I’ve never used lorann oils but they do look strong as hell.

If you’re just looking for regular icing, vanilla flavoring is hard to mess up

1 Like