ICE in BHO open blast

Open blasting in to pyrex bowl.

Ice precipitation in bho while cooking off.

No warm water bath.

Atmospheric moisture freezing on contact with BHO?

Any ideas or experience with this?

What material are you blasting?

What kind of butane are you using? Are you pre-freezing the material? Are you chilling your tane?

I believe its the butane cooling as it evaporates, it will react with the water in the air( to form condensation) and it will also react with the water in the biomass that was washed into the butane sometimes causing nucleationā€¦this is normal when open blasting into a pan without a heat source to combat the temperature delta at atmosphere

8 Likes

experienceā€¦ no

ideasā€¦ yes, stop

there are plenty of cls systems out there for just about as small as you want to go. The savings on solvent alone will pay for the machine

9 Likes

Fixed it for you :boom:

4 Likes

What temp does water become ice?
What temp does butane become a gas?

Do you see the problem here?

heating your puddle will not stop water condensing and freezingā€¦because you canā€™t get your puddle above freezing until itā€™s mostly hash.

unless you have it under pressure.

Which is ONE reason for getting yourself a cls.

Can you name two more?

2 Likes

I live in New Zealand, we live in the wild west here, no easy rides to the store to get a CLS any time soon.

2 Likes

Flower, I only run flower.
Ground up, packed tight but not too tight.
90u rosin evolution screen

1 Like

New port cans
Usually I freeze everything but it makes no difference.

ā€¦:muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:

Thank you I appreciate your time.

This is what I thought was happening.
Iā€™ll just keep doing secondary single solvent dewax for now. Until I can one day be one of the big boys with a CLS!
in New Zealand itā€™s hard to get a CLS, not impossible but very expensive and big risk to lose if you get caught.
SO I get that CLS is far superior and safeā€¦ And appreciate you still taking the time to answer me without being a tool lol

2 Likes

I can ship brewing equipment to NZ no problem.

Dm me and lets get you set up

3 Likes

how are you currently achieving this?!?

get?

Build!! (mostly assemble).

If you source locally youā€™ll probably need some sanitary welding done. the dairy/beer guys understand ā€œsanitaryā€ the still makers seem to think liquor solves the problem (based on the welds Iā€™ve seen). deciding between local fabrication and import of the bits you canā€™t purchase locally is probably about the skill-set of your sanitary welder, and how hard you think customs is looking at individual packages of incoming stainless.

indeedā€¦and there are some very specific brewing accessories that OP might should source that way. just not a CLS in a kit.

godzone has brew storesā€¦but more importantly, they also have more diary cows than they have humans (8 vs 5million).

we borrowed tri-clamp from the dairy industry I believeā€¦so many of the required parts might already be out in the milk shedā€¦or at least close by

edit: is ethanol extraction any more legal than butane? ā€œlegalā€ AND safer are the usual buttons I try pushing to get folks from open blasting at home to using ethanol. In your case Iā€™m gonna try a different approach. you can actually extract in a CLS with an array of different solvents. pretty sure precision came out with their X10 after I told Nick this trick.

5 Likes

This guyā€¦ Skip to minute 28 to hear about single solvent secondary dewax. He recommends it even if you use a CLS with dewaxing column.

My knowledge to be able to build or assemble a CLS is limited, I could perhaps achieve it if I had schematics or someone to help me.

Ethanol isnā€™t really a road I want to head down.

1 Like

It looks like you are running dried flower going for a cake batter finish, based on the vid that you posted. Get your setup colder. Not just to mitigate the ice, but also for a finer end product. Iā€™m not trying to sell you anything, but a lot of us are constantly buying lab crap. Consider a cryo, a cryo can go a long way for a reasonable upfront cost upfront and low daily cost. The rest of the guys here are right, but on the way to your cls, you will still be piecing together your lab. Take temps and record along the way.

2 Likes

Itā€™s all triclamp parts, gaskets and clamps.

some sites like bvv will give you a full run down of parts.

A lot of people for hobby and home use go through @Killa12345 because he he has quality extraction units for value prices

but you can also go through Alibaba or a different Chinese supplier for cheaper triclamp parts.

bluemonster yellow tape is better for butane, propane and isobutane.

lol the open blast link I have on my bookmark bar is a column on a stand that I have ideas for a 2 stage close loop for 2 stage dewaxing. I have 0% aspirations of going back to open blast

1 Like

Goshā€¦ from asking for ideas to instant attack in 0.003 seconds.

I donā€™t personally know of anyone that went down to the ā€œextraction storeā€ to purchase a CLS.

You must have internet way out there in the wilderness or you wouldnā€™t have access to this forum. Pretty certain you have delivery services alsoā€¦ like UPS maybe??

One of these wee 4oz close loop systems might do the trick and there would for sure be a lot of information available on this site to learn how to operateā€¦

5 Likes

If youā€™re in NZ, reach out to @biotek_engineering. Thatā€™s his IG handle, but he has an account on here, too. He is a fabricator and can probably help you source parts if needed.

@BIOTEK-NZ is his handle on here

7 Likes