I ask weird questions. This one is about gummies. ***Generic link in first post****

I find myself in interesting situations daily. I am looking to make pectin based gummies without the use of sugar/sweetener. This is a state regulation and is probably gonna be the norm for a while.

I have a year to perfect the recipe and (though no one will probably want it) I will gladly share whatever I figure out.

So, anyone have thoughts on a pectin-based gummy with no color, sugar or other sweeteners?

I am going off of hearsay and basically setting up for worst case scenario.

2 Likes

Out of curiousity - what state regulation is this?

1 Like

Prob FL kitchen regs to be released any day.

2 Likes

Do you have a link handy? Or the section it’s in?

Sounds bizarre. What about other edibles or drinks?

Could you produce flavored water soluble gels that contain sugar and coloring?

Are you a cop? Asking for a friend

1 Like

I work with Agent Swecker, yes.

6 Likes

I think sugar and dye free gummies are a great idea, especially for people seeking medication vs recreation. I know lots of people who would like more low calorie alternatives to traditional edibles.

2 Likes

I get sugar free but no sweetener at all?

I’d see what they define a sweetener as but if it prohibits all sweeteners, even natural ones, then you may as well just make capsules.

4 Likes

Yes

Agent Smithins with the Space Patrol

You have violated section 1546.42.56, page 67, paragraphs 4-7

Using pectin

Our workaround in the past was to use excipients labeled as preservatives, stabilizers, or lubricants that also just happen to be sweet. Glycerin is labeled for use for a million and one things but I’m not sure how it would play for a gummy recipe

6 Likes

Yeah that’s why I asked what it’s defined as. There’s a million things that can sweeten a flavor so unless they are specifically banning artificial ones like sucralose, aspartame, etc then there’s a feasible workaround. Just is a silly game to have to play. Gummies in general should just be replaced by capsules.

3 Likes

You might have better luck with agar as a vegan friendly gel base. I think pectin requires some sort of carbohydrate to help form the gel structure where you see agar more in the weird molecular gastronomy savory gel type recipes.

1 Like

Agreed with the exception of pediatric patients. Our regulators don’t want us making things kid friendly but the reality is that it’s hard to get a young kid to take capsules and most would agree that having a six year old doing dabs is ridiculous.

1 Like

Bubblegum flavored tincture. Better control over dosing anyway.

Gummies just fuel too much anti-cannabis “what about the children” rhetoric and for adults it’s just an unnecessary excuse to eat candy. People should just eat some gummies separate if they want to eat candy. It’s a terrible carrier for oil soluble drugs.

4 Likes

Tapioca syrup works great too

1 Like

I have a close friend who has a severely autistic 7 year old son with a pretty bad seizure disorder who they have to literally hold down to take non-alcohol tincture (partially because they don’t allow flavoring in our state). My friend is constantly flying to legal states to buy gummies because it’s the only thing that he will take without resistance. It’s a fucking damn shame. I don’t disagree with your assessment entirely but I still think there’s a place in the market

2 Likes

Just add flavoring to the tincture. You can get oil soluble flavoring for like $4 that would be enough for about 30 bottles of tincture.

If that doesn’t taste appealing enough, add the tincture to any food the kid will eat. This will be no different than a gummy. Stir it in some frosting and put it on a cupcake bite. Mix it with some butter/PB and spread it on a piece of toast. Chocolate syrup, ice cream, anything really. I just think gummies are an unnecessary product when it can be easily replicated using more cost effective materials like an appropriately dosed tincture and a little know-how.

3 Likes

Alabama. Haven’t had a second to hop on today. Ready for a beer and a bowl and to put my feet up.

I’ll read and respond to questions and thoughts when I get home this evening. Thanks for all the replies so far.

1 Like