I am Shadownaught AMA

Hey hey everyone,

This profession and community has evolved so incredibly over the last ten years that it’s almost impossible to believe. This forum and GLG have generated a huge amount of content, and if you haven’t seen me contributing for a while it’s because I’ve been pursuing other avenues as a change of pace…operating with a singular focus for so long can get mentally poisonous.

That said, to all the folks I haven’t interacted with before; Howdy, my name is Lejen…

I got out of the Navy in 2012 all battered and not down with the pile of meds the VA would give me. By the end if 2012 I was learning about growing, making edibles, making concentrates(I immediately fell in love with oil), and fighting for local access in Monterey, CA because dispensary products in Santa Cruz were hella expensive and Monterey Co had zero access.

In Christmas time of 2014 there was a big backup of shipping in LA, kind of like now, which dried up the supply of single use butane canisters. My brother helped me begin buying butane directly from manufacturers and that’s how Imperial Gas got started. I had opportunities to work with Cannacraft in Santa Rosa, and Altai Chocolates in Salinas, while also beginning research on absorbents for product improvement and pesticide remediation.

When I moved to Colorado late 2016, absorbents had…absorbed…all of my attention. I would study white papers until 1am, then wake up at 3am realizing part of one paper could be used in novel ways from a second paper, shit like that. It became clear that the solvent side of the industry, and what would become media supply, could be under the same roof. Through this Carbon Chemistry as a company was born. Dustin and I had worked on a consortium od suppliers but the most important part of that relationship was this forum.

We had been supplying operators with absorbent mostly for distillate improvement but had heard of people putting Carbon or silica in their columns…suddenly Indofab and Waxplug pop up with CRC on the forum and the absorbent landscape shifted dramatically. In 2016 I had to beg people to try using clay in their process(with limited success), by 2019 people would tell me that clay is obviously SOP…crazy. When Summit and Victor were helping the development of MagSilPR the only commercially available product was $275/kg assuming you could even get access. By 2019, MagSilPR was helping unfuck hot oil for 13 cents a gram or less.

All that said, shoot me some questions if you like!

48 Likes

I live this, Boss. You are such a wealth of information. Man, I remember selling Rumpwax an oven. He made me work for that sale!

8 Likes

I had to call AI about an oven temp ramp controller while working with Ben, and at that time you had to play cool while talking to AI about “botanical extraction”. It’s wild that today the AI team fucking SLA-A-A-A-A-Ys

10 Likes

This is beautiful. Looking forward to chatting more. :muscle:

3 Likes

Likewise!

1 Like

Hows 9 and the kids doing? Miss vic

5 Likes

where do you think carbon chemistry has room for improvement?

any thoughts on trends in cannabis that are worth paying attention to?

4 Likes

The boys look strong as fuck and more like their dad every day. I’ve talked to Nine a few times over the years but not nearly enough. I wanted to do a Carbon Chem x Derby jacket years ago but it never lined up. Nine has kept the ship afloat and deserves mad respect all of her own!

4 Likes

Oh hey pleased to meet you

6 Likes

Carbon Chem has plenty of room for improvement in community involvement, for sure. We’ve led in the innovation space for years, but have spent extensive time developing the zeolite offering. I’m not fully involved in that as much as my brother has taken the wheel at Carbon, but I’m fully satisfied with the product catalog available from CC.

In terms of involvement, we made the pesticide SOP actionable for so much of the industry and I’d love to see that same kind of communication applied to general filtration concepts and heavy metals.

What would you like to see Carbon Chemistry improve upon?

4 Likes

This mutha fucka. Wish I could come up to your November class but I’m stuck in town. Let’s do a class in OKC like you wanted to do last year! Gotta DRAG me from my Ozark life.

8 Likes

I’m having one after the holidays

3 Likes

Missed you in Vegas bro, I will go wherever I got to after the new year.

2 Likes

I saw Sheldon and bre the night before you were leaving. I’ll catch you with the Oklahomies I already have a date in mind

6 Likes

I’m already there, whatever whenever. Stoked to see your new and improved methods…as if you needed any improvement :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

I don’t know what you would improve on with your core offerings, just curious where you see room to expand and what prospects outside the scope of CC you find interesting

2 Likes

I changed it up a little bit since I last saw you guys in Vegas. Trying to set a standard for particulate prevention.

8 Likes

I am always dipping into all kinds of weird shit. Esterification and lignin polymers have caught my attention most recently.

When talking about the Carbon Chem catalog the prevailing issue is challenge. What are the challenges faced by operators and what types of solutions might be required. In general, the materials required to go from biomass to top shelf are already available. What is lacking is a professional track to go from apprentice to expert manufacturer.

I am a huge proponent of providing operators with a certifiable, transferable skillset.

12 Likes

Good glad to hear, i haven’t talked to her in a while. I talked to vic the night before he passed til late and then woke up to the news. Sign me up for one of his derby jackets, we were talking about them that night.

6 Likes

Carbon Chem should sell stainless DOT storage tanks so we can store tons and tons of distilled ready to use fuel outside our facilities. This would make me and the fire Marshall very very happy

I know that’s not your specific field but someone should be doing this already

8 Likes