Hunting Game

Hello all. I figured since theres a fishing thread, why not make a hunting thread. See how many hunters we have here. What do you guys hunt? Why do you hunt? Whats you weapon of choice? What are the regs in your state like? So on and so forth. I love to hunt. I hunt elk, deer, and dove. I hunt for my love of the outdoors and for food for my family. I use a Ruger M77 Hawkeye 270. The regs in my state dont allow me to hunt big game every year. We have to put in for a draw. Ive been draw 4 times in about 15 years. I can hunt dove every year when in season. I use a Remmington 870 Wingmaster. Heres some pics.

Coues whitetail

Mule deer.

19 Likes

I’m an avid hunter. Mostly deer, but I’ve hunted bear, turkey, feral hog, rabbit, etc.
Also gig frogs. Fish fresh and salt when I can.

13 Likes

We love whitetail hunting here in nova scotia, I was brought up hunting with my father and my kids love coming with me. That’s what we ate for supper tonight, can’t get more organic then that.

17 Likes

Good looking dinner.

6 Likes

Here’s a pic of some bucks from this year ready for the wall. Some call this “European Mount”.

12 Likes

I bow hunt and upland bird hunt sometimes, I haven’t taken any big game in a few years though. Took an big cow elk out in Utah like 12 years ago, it was 340ish lbs field dressed, guide judged by the teeth it was 14ish years old.

4 Likes

This year’s backyard bull from one of the herds that frequents.

@Dred_pirate has spent some time out here pursuing them too

28 Likes

Is he cutting the eye out in the second to last picture?

3 Likes

Ya, I ate it.

17 Likes

Plan on using three different tags next season, too. Bow, modern rifle, and hopefully black powder rifle

18 Likes

My good buddy has a large beetle colony and does European mounts for people. Super cool.

11 Likes

I’m not sure about the size of the deer where I’m at honestly. In Florida they’re not even worth hunting because they’re tiny and eat scrub palm and pine nuts.
In NY the deer were amazing because they finished off in the apple orchards.
Alaska was Alaska

12 Likes

In Michigan it’s 2 doe and a buck each year usually based on population studies. Turkey is spring and fall. Bear and elk tags work on a lottery points system as those are much more limited. Our local deer move back and forth between soy beans, corn, and orchards, so they’re pretty big and fat!

5 Likes

From the Virginia Game Commission:
The bag limit for deer shall be two a day and five a license year . Of the five-deer limit, no more than two may be antlered deer and at least three must be antlerless deer.

Stacking them like cord wood.

8 Likes

Ohio is know for the best white tail deer hunting in the world. They have some of the biggest and best tasting . All the deer in ohio are corn fed . Lots of sage brush where i currently live so it makes for gamey taste . You honestly should put out alfalfa , feed corn , and water because we live in a high mountain dessert makes them taste much better .

3 Likes

Personally, I prefer my wild game not to taste like feedlot beef

11 Likes

I’m not a real trophy hunter, but I love me some venison, grouse and turkey. We get depredation tags due to the deer eating our alfalfa so I usually shoot does. Meats better on them anyways ime…

The deer here tastes amazing because they eat alfalfa there whole life. So fucking good.

We recently (in last 8 months) started getting a couple herds of elk on the property too, hoping to make something out of that this next season (if they stick around)…

I recently got a new tika t3x in 270WSM with a leupold vx3-hd. Pretty stoked on it so far.

13 Likes

I use a .308 long range and 12ga. if I’m in tight areas.

We should share some venison recipes possibly on another thread?

I’ve got a great chicken-fried venison recipe that will make your tongue dart out and slap you in the side of your own face!

8 Likes

That sounds delicious

I like my back strap soaked in goat milk with simple flour breading. Fry and eat with gravy, hash browns and fried eggs

Most of the deer we just grind down for hamburger. Really only save the back straps

8 Likes

Oh brother…dayum rite.
I’m making some jerkey soon. I’m happy to send yall carnivores some just cause I love my 42k peeps

8 Likes