Hunting Game

I’ve been toying with the idea of a terp infused glaze for turkey and venison. Just like a rosemary type glaze but with some kushy and fruity terps.

4 Likes

I’m now hungry af…who started this thread? Fakk.

5 Likes

@Future animals taste like what they eat .I Will bring you some sage brush venison and you can try it . Its not terrible but extremely gamey . Even if i do not want a deer i still feed and water them . We live in a high mountain dessert and with the extreme drought they run out of grass and water real quick . So when the animal is only eating pine bark and sage brush it is malnourished the fur gets patchy and ribs show bad . We even feed the birds in the winter ! I want to eat healthy animal not a sick one . So a little grass and water with a small amount of corn for fat for the winter is really helping these deer

4 Likes

Deer shouldn’t be fed hay. They cannot digest it and it can kill them. Just an fyi.

I meant to say alfalfa have not had my coffee yet this morning . I just feed the animals so they do not die of starvation . It is sad to see them in rough shape so anything i can do to help i try. The main thing i try to do is give them water because there is no water for miles in area and it gets real hot and dry in the summer. Later this year i will post a pic of the sickly unhealthy deer then post a healthy one . The mule deer around here almost look like a horse they get so big !

2 Likes

Alfalfa boats deer. It’s best to let the wild animals move around to graze and find food

1 Like

Because of the direct result of human activity in my area the environment is fucked. I just want to give the animals a small boost of help so they do not die of starvation and malnutrition its not just about "making deer taste good "

2 Likes

Idk if it’s different with fresh (still growing alfalfa) because the deer here basically only eat that all summer and fall, they seem to thrive lol

2 Likes

Deer will graze on what’s best for them at that particular time. Any cut grasses hurt their stomachs. Like us…we like fresh greens.
What I do is plant cover crops in my raised beds and they know it’s where the goods are. We luckily have a creek here on the farm that they drink from.
I make sure they have plenty of nutrient blocks to lick while they wait for greens to come forth in spring.

3 Likes

I plant apple trees to season them as the grow. Makes the best minced meat pies.

4 Likes

We live in a desert and i am limited on water to 1000 gallons a week . The deer eat poisonous plants and flowers because they are dying of starvation and malnutrition they are so hungry they eat anything . We are limited on what we can grow because of water or i would plant cover crops . I am 100% open to suggestions of what you guys would do to help the deer

3 Likes

You’re wild sir.

Elk hunting in western CO

14 Likes

I’m afraid with the elk herd in Michigan at about 250-300 head, I’m gonna have to come out there to get one.

1 Like

Some turkey for turkey noodle soup tonight. Using this and the left overs from the smoked turkey I got from @DapperDabMan.

One leg went to the pooch.

11 Likes

Sow seeds of edible plants all over the land you hunt, for the wild game.

1 Like

Ya it’s been a real pain in the ass to keep the elk away from all my fruit trees

6 Likes

I got a cousin who uses motion sensors and ultrasonic transducers to keep deer away from his fields.

2 Likes

Been a pain in the ass to keep deer away from my car. I killed a 10 point plus buck, I hit two does at different times, and one I had 3 deer in the road split two but clipped their heads and tails. I feel like I pissed God off.

8 Likes

My first duck hunt this November. Me an my buddy. He actually snagged one with the judge (410 shell) hence why it’s pictured. It was glorious.

We’re going after Squirell tomorrow just for fun.

16 Likes