Humboldt County permabans hemp cultivation

right because only high thc weed is real weed. could you be any slower ?

2 Likes

Exactly!!! LOL your catching on finally… and your calling me slow! :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

if you were any slower you would be going backwards…

coming from the person who thinks fake weed is real weed… Keep making your poison! Lets get this back on topic rather making this always about me… :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

i love this move from humboldt to protect its heritage…

4 Likes

Thats a shame… I like me some pretendica from time to time.

1 Like

Banning hemp would be an absolute shame and put this country behind many developing nations racing to catch up to our hemp production. Forget about the CBD, hemp is exponentially more valuable than that

12 Likes

What about banning open pollenation? That’s been an issue outside of cannabis for a long time, especially since the rise of agricultural IP outfits like Monsanto

Not only is that a terrible idea for food security, it’s not even really feasible. Look how we’ll it’s worked for all the “illegal” ditch weed that grows wild in the midwest

4 Likes

I think humboldt deserves this one. Come on. There is plenty of states with rural land for hemp.

#leavehumboldthigh

:joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

I think the market has done a pretty good job of keeping that in check. Who can afford to grow hemp for CBD in Humboldt?

4 Likes

No one but it’s a good idea to put it on the books incase anyone gets a great idea. :joy::rofl::joy:

1 Like

I don’t mean all open pollenation, just in the case of high potential for drift, at least where it would have a significant adverse effect. It makes sense to me not to grow hemp for seed crop next to multimillion dollar marijuana grows, it also makes sense not to plant heirloom crops next to genetically modified ones

Restricting what people can do with their property is an issue, but so is ruining others’ livelihood in furtherance of your own. Hard to say where to strike the balance.

4 Likes

Ya once that pollen leaves your property and is on someone else’s, that’s an interesting problem. But the precedent set by criminalizing pollen is a dangerous one…

3 Likes

Maybe humboldt is looking at it like an invasive species. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I’m not completely opposed to small municipal governments making localized restrictions on most things. But it’s absurd to let the government dictate which plants you can and can’t grow on your own land. Does mean a licensed rec grower couldn’t grow any high CBD strains either?

5 Likes

I don’t know. Would it be possibly worth losing your license to grow weed to grow high cbd strains when you can buy it’s literally everywhere.

Wouldn’t the land be more profitable using it for cannabis if licensed to?

It sounds like it may be vindictive pothead haters growing hemp Otherwise the pot growers should just pay them to frow weed instead of hemp

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/PA_NRCSConsumption/download?cid=nrcseprd1212810&ext=pdf

https://publicrelations.colostate.edu/2003/07/14/study-helps-establish-buffer-zone-for-genetically-modified-crops-pollen-drift/

USDA has regulations regarding buffer zones for organic gardening to mitigate outside practices, something like that makes sense to me. Corn can drift a 1/4 mile, but that CSU study says it’s <1% pollenation at ~1000ft which is still enough to potentially ruin an unlucky neighbor’s crop

The questions for me are who is responsible for mitigating the pollen/maintaining a buffer zone, can a hemp farmer be held liable for damages to a THC crop, and can they make IP claims following unwanted pollenation like Monsanto has done for years

2 Likes

They aren’t talking about telling licensed cannabis growers what they can or can’t grow, only that hemp licenses won’t be permitted in the county. If these new rules pass, a licensed cannabis grower can continue to grow whatever cannabis they want

3 Likes

Sure, and I can sue my neighbors for growing tomatoes I don’t like…

2 Likes