How to pack a material column for efficiency

Can anyone give me a tip on how to pack more into a 4 x 48 material column? It’s supposed to hold 5lb capacity but I can’t get more than 3lbs., If I pack it tight. Im using little buds and sugar trim that is 3 months old stored at ~50 degrees

Thought of freezing and smashing but I’m concerned about the filters. There is a 4" 150 mesh screen and then reduced to 2" 100 mesh prior to going into dewaxer.

Appreciate any insight and thanks to all in advance. Love this forum.

2 Likes

I can fit 390g per ft in a 3” column. I pack the living piss out of it. With a wood dowel. Sometimes pushing my body weight into it. Just pack tighter. :man_shrugging:
That’s 3.43lbs per 3x 48” column

1 Like

@bg305 is putting 7lbs in a 4x48

4 Likes

Scared to break filters. But I’ll muscle it some more

I was using filter socks until I started blasting biomass rockets with the air compressor.

9 Likes

Lmao!!! I so wanna try that. Just lean the fucker out a window and hammer it

Pack your column then put the filters on after.

2 Likes

You guys are talking filter socks or discs?

It’s top and bottom filters…

I pack my Columns with Saran Wrap on the bottom and then the plastic caps the columns come with. Then just pack straight on the floor. Assemble filters when ready to use and go.

Saran Wrap helps keep the gasket area clear of plant matter. So you’re not stuck messing with it when assembling a cold column in a hurry

8 Likes

I am just packing it into the column. I saw a post about filter socks. Is that how you got 7lb rockets :nerd_face:

I shot a filter socks out then just started shooting the biomass out by itself. I pack the spools on the floor with the basic cap they come with from the factory. Then I put the vitton 100um screen and sight glass when I’m done.

2 Likes

Do you freeze and pulverize your material prior to running in a cls?

2 Likes

Yes I grind the biomass.

3 Likes

When your packing biomass make sure you’re using a little bit at a time and than use your packing instrument. Keep repeating this process until it’s filled. Also i used a open column so i didn’t go pass 90% of the column height. You will be able to fit more in this way and have a even packing. Keep filling the column like this. When i was packing columns back in the ole trap days i used a broom pole and duct taped the top end of a can at the end . I packed applying pressure in sections to cover the whole surface area. Use a funnel or use a turkey bag for insertion.

4 Likes

What brand filter socks did you use?

Turkey bags were a bitch. I fashioned a very nice funnel out of a restaurant toilet paper roll, beer boxes, and a lot of duct tape. #ghettotech
Edit: this was in the dark ages haha

2 Likes

didnt even think about using the plastic protective caps. having same issues as op, but now i’ll remove the filter disk and cap the end with the plastic thing …

1 Like

Got them from HSF.

If you are going to pack with the cap on the floor do this. Cut a 3/4" piece of plywood in the diameter of your column and place in on the bottom when you cap. This will prevent the biomass from expanding and pushing on your screen gasket or making it a bitch to get your bottom clamp on.

4 Likes