How to ground water heating element?

I got this tempco heater from Grainger after reading a recommendation on this forum

How would you guys recommend grounding this unit? I’m trying to move away from the sous vide its not cutting it. I’m trying to connect it to a switch but i don’t see a green cable for the ground so I’m not sure what exactly to do.

does it have a chasis ground?

why not a pid?

2 Likes

it has a built in temperature regulator

1 Like

you could probably just wire the ground to the sheet metal body.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken there is no ground wire on this heating element, how would I go about doing this?

like this

4 Likes

so I basically solder a wire from the box to the metal bucket the water is in?

no, place the wire under a screw on the sheetmetal body of the heater itself.

if all else fails call tempco: 888 268-6396

3 Likes

And can I place the other end of the wire to the ground on my switch? thank you so much by the way I just want to confirm before I try since I don’t know electrical all that well

yeah something like that, what are you using for a switch?

1 Like

https://www.homedepot.com/p/100356941

might want to run a gfi outlet as well

1 Like

Lmk how this works out. Im using bucket heaters and they barely cut it

Thanks to @Sully @Soxhlet for the help
recovery ripping at 20mins now to recover 20lbs

image|375x500

5 Likes

How’d ya end up grounding it? Pics?

3 Likes

the Tempco heater he used doesn’t come with a dedicated ground, however Tempco rep told me that one of the two screws that hold that electric housing to the heater element is a suitable ground for a single heater hook up.

2 Likes

Y’all are trippin with these crazy heaters. An on demand tankless water heater with built in recirc pump is crucial.

1 Like

tankless water systems are AMAZING best option out there IF you run a system that needs 200,000BTU . But we got homie running an industreal heater, cost like $350 and changed his game.

1 Like

True. My unit was about $1900 not including install. But unlimited hot water, and only uses a up a couple amps of electrical, my main concern.

1 Like

Get a meter and verify continuity between earth ground and all of your casing and if you plan on touching the water verify the container it’s being heated in is also bonded

1 Like