How to ground water heating element?

What unit are you using. The tankless we used at the facilty was blowing the breaker left and right

How big is your collection pot?
And how much was this unit? Think im going to convert.
Also your pic didnt post

What does this mean

He probably meant grounded, if there’s a short it can electrify the water, ouch.

1 Like

navien npe-240a

Something must have been hooked up wrong. Tankless water heaters only use a couple amps max.

With heating elements if the casing is not bonded and grounded to the same common ground as the water or container it can create potential between the two .

2 Likes

electrical draw is relative to heat output with electrical heat
1kw = ~5a @240v
36kw is almost 190a at 240v

your navien is a natural gas unit and not comparable in electricity use

edit - that navien is equivalent to ~59kw(199kbtu) output ~275amps 240v ~80a 480 3phase

1 Like

I understand the difference in burning gas and electricity. I’m not sure what you’re getting at, I have very little electricity available that’s why I went with gas. In my opinion it’s a superior option to expensive electric heaters.

1 Like

Hes saying that because i said ours was blowing the breaker left and right. Ours was not gas.
You said yours only pulls a couple amps. Hes comparing

2 Likes

My collection pot is 12 inches.
Unit was $350 from Grainger but honestly you can build one for cheaper using a PID controller and a cheap 4500W water heating element from Home Depot.

1 Like

Oh. I figured you meant tankless gas too, that’s why I got confused that it was blowing your breaker haha

1 Like

It was tankless. And electric. Haha
Didnt think of a gas one honestly until seeing this

It’s amazing. Built in recirculation pump and everything, just gotta do a little plumbing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an electric tankless before.

1 Like

The green screw on the back

1 Like

Maybe im seeing things and thats not a grounding screw. You can use a sheet metal screw and just wrap the bare copper wire in the 10/2 or 12/2 around it. If panel is properly grounded that will be fine