How to get rid of rubber smell in distillate

We come across this issue often when beginning SPD operations. It normally comes from improper fractionation, or contamination in the starting material. It can be aided with numerous remediation processes, but you havent given us enough information to really direct you to specifics.

heres a thread about this same issue from last week.

Other than that, make sure to search through the Hash and stuff catagories

Remember, the search bar is your best friend!

3 Likes

:point_up: :point_up: :point_up: :point_up:

2 Likes

Run a few passes through the shortpath, make sure to cut your fractions cleanly and discard any lower volitiles.

3 Likes

Does hot condenser tek help in this situation as well?

yes, but you will rarely get a 1st pass that smells the same as a 3rd.

3 Likes

If you take it low and slow I’ve found that there is less smell. There are 2 terps with boiling points between thc and cbd/cbn which I think has some of that smell. Or at least I’ve noticed less of it when I do my runs at 175c vapor, not letting it get above 185c at any time.

3 Likes

@Renchi What was your vac level with those temperature figures for the vapor temp?

1 Like

@coppertop
Vac is between 100-400 micron. But my gauge might not be reading correctly, so it might be lower than that actually.

1 Like

Hot condenser Tek help my first pass smell quite a bit better and made it easier to separate out those fractions on a fast first pass. Still need to run at least another pass to get it out totally.

1 Like

I had a liter before like that and the lAb took it back and traded me out.

I’ve got completely clean smelling first pass by doing the @Beaker Tek

Get your cannabinoid layer into a hep/hex solution. Then add equal part methanol, then louche with water to a 5% methanol to water. Repeat this 5-6x (it’s a whole bunch of water. Like 100+L for 1kg of distillate). But the resulting distillate is the cleanest tasting/smelling first pass I’ve ever had.

5 Likes

What are the measurements for a ounce to a half ounce of distillate ?

~14ml and ~28ml?

3 Likes

Ok so the full 14 gs with 28 ml ethanol to make the carbon scrub ?

You asked “for the measurements”.
@anon56994712 answered you correctly.

3 Likes

sonication is a good method. Or so I have heard. Where I work no one has time to remove the smell. I think Wipe film disty smells pretty bad, but its like a good bad smell.

Hello, I have got thx destilate which smell like rubber and on top of it is making pink/purple belt, can I purify it somehow? If you could give me some advice please feel free contact me on email.: miso.stasi@gmail.com thx :slight_smile:

Im not the spd expert but i had issue once when i didnt winterize good enough and had a weird taste. I rewinterized and reran and in that case worked for me?

Rubber smell is due to some terpenes from cannabinoids breakdown: mainly olivetol, and I believe some p-cymene isomer,

One got to distill at a slower rate, and remove a good head fraction, at least 10-15%.

3 Likes

Listen to the doctor.

For color ring you can dissolve in hep/hexane and wash with low ph water (2-3is good) also winterize.

But a colorful ring is just a common byproduct of oxidation. You may have to redistill it to remove it.

1 Like