How to find clients as an independent producer

I built my closed loop and I live in Washington State. I have not lived here my whole life and I only have one client who drops off 10 to 20lbs per week. That amount I do in one day and I’m looking for more people who need processing done.
Does anyone here have advice about how to find people who need a processor?
I have been doing it long enough to have a good education and produce great results and plenty of product to show future clients. I just don’t know how to find them.
Any help would be appreciated.
I searched this site to find this topic before posting this and couldn’t find anything similar. The few processors I know have more work than they know what to do with but they seldom pass any along.
Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

Start reaching out to farms, be prepared to offer cash for their trim and dont waste their time.
In my experience more farms need an outlet for them trim than there are processors needing material to run so it shouldnt be to hard to will up your material needs.

5 Likes

“How do i build clientele?”

Offer to buy the shittiest material they have (trim) that they cannot pay people to take for free

Yeah… great idea… start your whole business extracting trash.

Great way to build a reputation!

You know what’ll build it even faster?

Selling the low quality trim products. :clap:

1 Like

Its a pretty great business model huh? Do the majority of consumers pay for top shelf extracts or is the majority looking for something affordable?

There is a market for every price range, some go after high material cost the top shelf low volume skus. Some go after the lower cost material, high volume skus, the smartest business go after multiple tiers.

13 Likes

I prefer the business model using the “we only extract flower” ideology.

I suppose you’re right, covering both the connoisseurs and the cheapskates is a good business model… i still feel it’s a waste of resources to extract trim but i suppose the root of this is greed… people love turning something worth nothing into a profitable avenue.

But that doesn’t make it right, doesn’t mean it should be done and definitely doesn’t change the fact it’s still of shit quality.

Go out and shake hands. Bring some samples with you in different consistency’s and flavors. Use Loss leaders to bring in new customers(free run after 3). Offer flexibility, splits, buy backs, and broker deals. Most legal sites have get togethers, meetups, farmers market type events. These are very important, again, get out there and shake hands.

11 Likes

This is a reply to Vortal.

That absolutely makes sense. I simply have no clue how to find these meet ups and places where people gather.
I appreciate the information, it’s definitely something I will look for. It’s legal here of course but most people that I have met are very closed about things. Even knowing that I am a grower and producer the majority of people just don’t talk, at least in the few bars and festivals I have been to.

That is a great idea, I will certainly look into doing this. I have no clue how to get a hold of farms but I’ll get to work on that. If you have any suggestions about how to contact farm please do let me know. I have done olanty of trim run splits and bud runs that are paid. I just have no idea how to find the farm owners or who to speak to.
Much appreciated advice.

1 Like

there should be a registry of licenses available through your state and you could start cold calling. You can also look at dispensaries or online and search for farms.

3 Likes

There are many types of customers that I deal with. The type that only want 50$ grams of perfect rosin and washed diamonds and the type that ask what is the lightest best you have for 5$ a gram. The market is so flooded with product here that I get rid of diamonds and sauce for 10$ a gram 200 an oz all the time. If trim has trichomes loaded all over it there is no way to call that worth nothing. It’s amazing that anyone would have that mentality. To look at fresh sugar leaves and say, throw that in the garbage, it’s trash is just insane. If it’s worth nothing then do explain how it is that the one client I have brings over 10 or 20lbs a week and I run his half and give it to him, run mine and end up with 1.5 to 2lbs of good extract that goes out the door at 100 an oz bare minimum. My half of the 20lbs make roughly 1.5lbs of extract. 24oz, bare minimum that makes 2400$ 52 weeks a year end up being 124,800$
If that’s nothing to you and you made yourself that wealthy and didn’t inherit it I absolutely applaud you Sir or Miss.
You clearly were not raised by the generation that went through the great depression that’s for sure! I was raised by that generation and we don’t grow things away that are worth something. Absolutely tell all the people that I give away a gram a day for free because they are in pain and poor that what they are getting is worth nothing. Better yet, ask them if it’s worth nothing. It’s hard for me to wrap my mind around people who waste things.
Do you also throw away the freshly made food at the end of the meal because leftovers are worth nothing? Why don’t you drill a hole in the gas tank of your vehicle and put a plug in it so you can drain the fuel at the end of every day so it has fresh fuel every day.
What has this world come to when people can be starving and others say just throw that away, it isn’t worth anything.
WOW! Seriously, WOW!

2 Likes

I’m assuming you’re in the traditional market and not the licensed market, correct?

2 Likes

Terplord420

That is correct.

1 Like

I’d try reaching out to folks that are involved in the medicinal side of the industry out there. (I know medical cannabis isn’t much of a thing there but it technically exists), it seemed to be more lax to me and people were very willing to connect in an unlicensed fashion let’s say, hahaha.

2 Likes

you have to network to find suppliers.

good luck with the black market and your homemade closed loop, hopefully you dont end up as another news story like some other black market folks

3 Likes

Unless those sugar leaves look like this:

It’s absolutely trash and i absolutely will be composting it.

It’s compost, that’s all trim should be worth to anyone lol.

I understand financially many people can’t afford to extract flower.

My advice for them? Find another profession.

My point here was… extracts from trim produce low quality dookie.

I don’t care how many tricks you got in your toolbox, trim = trash.

The powers that be completely screwed medical here. It technically exists but only in stores that are recreational. The only advantage that people like myself have with medical is being able to have 4 people together as a cooperative and a larger limit and no tax in the stores.
I appreciate the advice.
Thank you

Networking is not my strong suit at all. I am an engineer and not social. I unfortunately do not have that quality in my range of abilities.
As far as being another news story, I certainly hope that doesn’t happen. When I say I built my machine, I imagine you are picturing a small non pressure tested little contraption. It is any but that. I have a 100lb solvent tank and a 50lb solvent tank. Actually lbs, not water column. I have a pump but only use it for clearing the last bit from a 10lb material column. Everything is passive other than that. I typically achieve around 2lbs per minute recovery completely passive. That is with only 400ft of stainless cooling line at 1/4" the next build I am working on will have at least 500ft of 1/2" cooling line. Many innovative things about this machine. I personally do not care that much about repeatedly running it over and over. My passion is design and further development and progress at making things more efficient and effective in less time and with less work. Utilizing nature to do what many use a pump to do. Incorporating and utilizing geothermal properties for cooling as an example. It’s not something that is for most people, it’s not mobile at all and takes up a lot of space. Building custom refrigeration to maximize surface area inside the collection tank and inside the solvent tank. Using stainless steel tubing inside the jacketed solvent tank as the evaporator of a refrigeration unit is quite interesting. Attempting to figure out the proper size condenser to cause the right amount of superheat to be able to use the jacketed space as an evaporator as well is next.
The point being it’s not a cheap little throw together thing. Not to say things can’t happen. Safety first of course.

1 Like

Everyone has the right to their opinion.
I understand that flower is better in your opinion. It may very well be a fact. I was not debating that at all. Waste is the debate. If I have nothing else to run and there is good trim, I am running it. I don’t share the mindset of the newer generation that would rather starve than eat day old bread.
You are correct, some people may not be able to afford to run flower, I do not suffer from that affliction. I am financially well endowed thankfully.
I take issue with the idea of waste, it seems to be a new concept to humans. In the land of plenty that we all love far too much is wasted. That bothers me.
Anyway, good day to you Sir or Miss.

2 Likes

Never said throw it out.

I stated “shouldn’t be extracted, trim product is dookie”.

Makes mighty fine compost, need not waste…

1 Like

Yeah I used to live and work in the rec industry in Washington. I’m not saying get a med card and do things legally, I’m saying connect with the folks in that side of the industry because they’re more willing to do things traditionally than licensed facilities are.