How much weight will I typically lose?

Let’s say I fill my boiling flask with 16,000 kg in a 20L.

How much would you say between heads, main body and tails, that would be left?

Like will I lose 30-40% just to terpenes burning off and vapors of the undesirables and obviously some weight in my cold trap .

Just looking for what like the average loss would be overall you guys have noticed .

All of the answers to your question will begin with, IF. Best thing to do is run it and figure it out.

3 Likes

If you fill your 20L still with 16,000kg you will have a big mess. Your loss will be about 15985kg. 16l in a 20l is pushing it if that’s what you meant. 75% of your flask volume is a lot. 80% is probably too much.

Figure typical losses range from 25-60% depending on starting material. Don’t guess, you’ll be wrong. Just run it like @BG305 suggested…but maybe with a few 1000ml less.

10 Likes

For hydrocarbon input on a 5L, we see 6-9 % of mass loss for heads, an average of 77% mains of the starting mass, and anywhere from 10-30 % of mass left as tails for first pass. Less heads, and less tails, more mains during a second pass. Distillate always comes out high 80’s low 90’s potency wise for first pass.

1 Like

Do you know how to do basic math?

1 Like

Is that directed at me? Those numbers are rough estimates, averages, +/- a few percent depending on variations in crude. Those averages are from multiple runs. If that was from one specific run, I can see where the concern would be.

1 Like

Heres my average.
For every 100g of crude, I’m pulling 75g of mains. But I have a bad ass etoh wash I do to net me those numbers.

1 Like

Do you know how to not be a cunt?

Nope.

4 Likes

I once had a teacher who would ask me the same question I would ask him and he would do it repeatedly untill i caught the point. I was trying to do the same and strike a light bulb moment.

The math is very subjective.

Most people should see it as this.

100% volume.

80% test.

So you should see maybe 99% of your 80 potency. So basic math can generally allow someone to subtract the upper and lower based on collective fraction removal.

1 Like

Not happening. Even 16000g would be pushing it.

Question on Oil Densities

1L of pure distillate in grams

2 Likes

Haha I see what I did there , definitely did not mean 16,000 meant 16 kg

2 Likes

Thank you, this helps me out. Always good to have data to compare your own too :call_me_hand:t4:

1 Like