How many mgs of cbd isolate can I add to a 30ml MCT solution before the cbd begins to crystallize?

Huh please explain
What’s your question ?

Adding THC will help inhibit CBD crystallization, yes.
Not sure on an exact equation of function to determine exactly how much.

But as Rogue said, 50% CBD by weight seems to be a good benchmark for where crystallization will begin.

. @Roguelab @ZizzleB

I am working on cooking up hemp and T in my kitchen. Boiling a lb and adding coconut oil. Cooling to a handling temp and squeezing in a strainer bag. Placing bag back in pot with a stone on top. Pouring the oils/water back in pot and letting cool and separate. Then taking oil off top to make water soluble tincture. I have not tested potency yet. Pretty much same as making butter.

My question is this:
What would be the best way to figure out Maximum solubility for hash oil in carrier oil. Meaning is there a way I can figure out a ballpark for the minimum amount of carrier oil/fat to boil with my biomass?

Looks like cbd is crashing out. Would it be safe to say it’s more than 50%?

Density of MCT should be abput 0.91 to 0.94.
So this is seemingly not pure mct oil, but a blend witg somzthing pretty light, likely not an oil. Does it smell ? It should not.

In addition, does this cbd isolate behaves the same in other oils ?

Once I was asked to analyse an isolate, it would dissolve only in hot ethanol (at 10g/l, which is far from solubility limits) but would instantly reprecipitate as solution cooled down. That time I suspected that they employed a sort of mysterious precipitating agent. So far I did not figure it out.

Can this concentration be achieved with hemp oil carrier?

There are many constituents of coconut oil, I recommend using C:8 solely to eliminate the issue of the MCT crashing near room temperature.

1 Like

@SoStupendous The coconut oil itself is what crystallized.

@milkyway At 50% CBD in MCT, the mixture may initially dissolve but it will certainly crash over time, especially as temperature drops around 60-70°F. If you still need help with this or if you would like help with branding or manufacturing in a clean room, dm me.
@organicmechanic206 was on point with 12g per 30mL which is 40% CBD in MCT. This is your max recommended for long-term avoidance of crashing.

In c8:c10, max room temp (22c) solubility for pure cbd in pure mct is at 33%.
I tested this a lot over seasons. You can maintain higher concentration in well cleaned and filtered containers, but a little seed, or just some movement (smearing syrup on the walls, drying, and building seed) will eventually induce crstallization until the solution reaches 33%.

It is lower in hemp seed oil and safflower oil (28%) and virgin olive oil (26%).

2 Likes

@Dr_Jebril I have manufactured CBD finished goods for the past 4-5 years with national distribution of the brands I make. Trust me: 40% CBD in C8 is stable. I’m happy to discuss design, development, and manufacturing services for finished goods in my clean room for any finished cannabis goods with less than .3% thc.

i’ve made 5000mg/30ml no problem at all. I’ve done it with both CBD Isolate and Distillate that had crystallized. I’m no expert and don’t claim to be, just the facts ma’am.

Indeed solubilty is higher in pure c8 mct. The kind most people are using around in Europe is generally sold as c8:c10 mixture, but in fact generally also contains c6 and c12. In such the max solubilty is 33%.

1 Like

Sorry I’m (two weeks) late to the party, but Dr. Adorable’s product is not really MCT (if I remember correctly) and probably should not be used. @cyclopath, care to chime in on Dr Adorable?

Not MCT!!

No idea what it is, but it doesn’t look remotely like MCT on a GC. Large amorphous “hump” rather than the 3 major peaks seen with C8-C10 medium chain triglycerides.

I may have chromatographs somewhere to back that up.

Certainly ran the tests. @Akoyeh was around at the time.

3 Likes

You don’t happen to have the corresponding thc numbers for you?!?

You left a point of nucleation in the mixture. I’ve had the same issue.

Unfortunately not. I did not have the occasion to play around with the T, so far…

But I can tell for the G (cbg), you can substract 4-5% to those values.

1 Like

That answers it. This is coconut oil with long and short chain I suspect. I used it to boil the hemp with water as a carrier oil to leach the hash. Would it be better to use mct or olive oil?

LOL! Thank you!

I knew someone on here would be such a hardcore scientist to have run this crap analytically. So weird right?? It’s sad that people are probably buying this stuff to eat it as part of a ketogenic diet or whatever. Crazy! My best guess is that it is mineral oil of some sort (based on it’s density).

1 Like

3rd party chemist came back and asked what we’d changed.

the trick he’d developed to drop the MCT from our tincture before running it stopped working. He wasn’t willing to inject it in his machine, so I injected it in mine :wink:

if I recall correctly I threw canola on there too.