How do you run 100LB+ Solvent Tank passive no chiller?

I’m trying to use a bigger solvent tank than the 50LB I currently use, that gets buried in a dry ice acetone slurry during recovery and injection, but I’m afraid the logistics of burying a 100Lb solvent tank in an acetone slurry might be inefficient in terms of dry ice consumption.

How do you guys run a 100Lb solvent tank or even 200LB solvent tank passively without a chiller? I was thinking of getting a jacketed 100Lb solvent tank from USALabs and just using a magnetic driven pump to circulate dry ice and isopropyl through the inner coil but not sure how or if that would work better than what I’m already doing.

I’m trying to run my extraction subzero to minimize fats and lipids.

1 Like

Explosion proof? Anyone try this?

Ya alot of people. Eco 633 pump

5 Likes

Doesn’t have to be explosion proof if it’s piped from another room…

4 Likes

Now that I know this I am going to add a manifold to my Jacketed Base and add 4 more shutoffs. I’m gonna add a freezing fluid port and a purge port. Currently I only have one set of 1/2 shutoffs with quick disconnects for heat exchange. So my new set up will go freezing iso flood>purge the iso from the jacket via chemical resistant vacuum pump with PTFE seals/a cold trap or positive air pressure at 20psi>heat exchange/gentle hot water flood.

1 Like

Are a lot of people doing this with success that you know of

That ive heard of yes

1 Like

I reccomend a tank like mine if you decide to go another route
Green machine sells them.
They are open jacket for dry ice. Or a slurry.

1 Like

How big is the tank you’re using? I thought you were running active did you convert to passive?

I am active. But my tank is the same as waxplugs who runs passive.
He has a 100# tank running that way.

2 Likes

I have a 100lb jacketed solvent tank on my operation. But if you look in my post history I’m having major issues keeping temp even with ETS’ design. I’m debating swapping it out for a 50lb tank.

1 Like

are you running a chiller?

Yes. Huber CC902.

How much dry ice are you using with that tank and what are your recovery times like.

Ask @Waxplug1.
I run active.
Im pretty sure he slurrys his jacket on his tank

@Waxplug1 how fast are you recovering and what’s your dry ice usage like on that tank? I’m considering buying the 100lb but wanted to see how it’s working for someone else first.

3 Likes

I saw that @GreenMachine_Consult was selling 100lb jacketed tanks. My tank isn’t jacketed it only has a chilling coil. I’m about to test out my eco 633 pump with the chilling coil that @Dred_pirate recommended.

Youll still need to ice your tank

1 Like

I love those tanks. Wish I would have found out about them before buying mine.

1 Like

Just throwing this out there, eco is a decent brand, but Danner pumps are of much higher quality and the impeller seems to be bullet proof. I highly suggest a Danner mag drive over an eco mag drive

7 Likes