How do you run 100LB+ Solvent Tank passive no chiller?

Have a link?
Never heard of this brand. Love having options

2 Likes

It’s weird that chewy.com has it, but this is it!

I’d buy the 700 to replace the Eco 633.

10 Likes

No need to chill your tank. My only advice is this. Make sure your coils are wet. Your alcohol level should be as high as your ice. Other than that. Dont over think it. Nothing changes.

1 Like

Except for the part where it is pumping isopropanol, which can quickly get out of hand if allowed to warm up around O2.

Safe when making CO2 bubbles vs safe…might be important. Either to the operator or the fire Marshall…

Edit: I read acetone. Didn’t notice OP was gonna circulate iso. As that pump probably won’t play with acetone I should have noticed nobody else had that pointed out :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Just figured if I use 3 way ball valves on quick disconnects it would be easier and cheaper than a manifold because I can do the freezing fluid flood to the jacket then shut that off and then clear out the jacket of the freezing iso into a different bucket with the return hose going into an empty bucket then turn on the sousvide and work the base as a heat exchange and place the return hose into the sousvide bucket.

Sounds like a solid thought

Make sure you get all the ISO out of the jacket and vice versa with the water.

2 Likes

@FicklePickle Which model Danner Pump would you recommend, I have a 100lb double jacketed solvent tank form Xtractor Depot. It also has a coil around the diptube. Id like to use a pump for both the diptube coil and one jacket, as the other jacket is vacuum insulated.

Edited I jumped the gun without reading the rest of the thread, i guess i didnt want to loose my thought. my apologies for asking something that was awnsered a bit later in the thread.

1 Like

What are some pros and cons of not chilling the solvent tank? I feel although I have heard this in the past somewhere else. Do you just have to make sure that the column or dewax gets down to temp?

Well yes vs no. Yes if you want to pull a little more undesirables.

If you’re soaking in the dewaxing column that’s already down to temp for a min it helps to have your solvent warm and it won’t really hurt that much because everything is already chilled and the solvent will pretty much turn into a liquid anyways.

But in reality it’s about not pulling undesirables and chilling all the parameters. So cold solvent, cold material, cold column and cold recovery. The nitrogen push cold solvent through a subzero chilled dewaxing column seems to be the gold standard for high quality yellow stuff. Fast and cold for the gold

Crc is a bit more tricky and you gotta dial it in more and I don’t mess with nitrogen or the crc.

The ghetto chiller loads room temp etho through 3 coils in etho dry ice baths ends up chilling down to -58 to -60 before the wash.