How Do you Crossbreed

I’m a slight newb with growing cannabis at a technical level. Nutrient feeding, spotting deficiencies, Cloning are just a few to name a few that I’m still pretty new at.

Though, the biggest thing I want to jump into is creating my own strain/crossbreeding. I have no idea how I would even start to go about doing so but I have a few strains in mind already that I wanna cross. I also want to know how to create an Auto flower strain.

Any and all info is appreciated

:spoon: Feed Thread”

6 Likes

Just like the entire cannabis industry, there’s a lot of “bro science” out there. I would rely on scientific white papers or hard information like the “Cannabis Breeder’s Bible”.

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but would love to see how you progress as you journey down the path of plant breeding.

8 Likes

Breeding is easy, but it is making the selections out of your results that is more challenging. One plant can make tens of thousands of seeds, but it takes acres of land to grow all of those out to pick the best.

4 Likes

If your looking yo chuck and looking for luck its really simple. If you are looking to become a breeder start by reading this that Dutch passion put out. I can take a few pics with some steps if you want to throw hail marries.

9 Likes

Having a good grasp on genetics is important. https://www.youtube.com/user/UsefulGenetics I just found her channel, still learning even after taking genetics at my university 1.5 times. I might be able to find the textbook.

2 Likes

TIL Chemotype lol

" A relatively new term in the cannabis community is chemotype. As cannabis breeders started to selectively breed cannabis plants to be rich in specific cannabinoids, e.g. CBD, laboratory analysis showed that the type of cannabinoids could vary markedly.

In the future it is possible that we will see cannabis seeds which will produce plants rich in other cannabinoids such as CBD-V, CBG and others."

5 Likes

Breeding is best done with cultivars that you have experience with. Makes it easier to recognize various traits in the offspring. Keep clones of everything. Progeny test your males instead of basically guessing based on appearance or smell. Keep meticulous records. Breed with stable, established strains instead of recent hybrids.

8 Likes
1 Like

I just posted this in the thread about colloidal silver. I feel pretty strongly about fem seeds.

2 Likes

I use 120 ppm and it always works.

Important to anyone who wants to make their own colloidal silver, it is not foolproof. I have tested homemade cs that did not work at all. The variables in making it include silver wire size, voltage applied, ac or dc, and time in the solution, which can affect particle size. If your particles are too big, it won’t work. I would tell most people to just buy cs instead of trying to make it.

2 Likes