How can you tell the difference between d8 and d9

How can you tell the difference between delta 8 and delta 9? Whether it be in a jar or in a cart? Aside from a lab report obviously. And im assuming if it was mixed(conversion liter) its be near impossible to tell. However any knowldege on this is beyond me so i came here

D8 is thicker than d9 ime clogs carts easy

4 Likes

Interesting. What about when its jarred any way to tell? Its probably irreleveant but i left an old jar out not sealed and it sorta just turned a browner goldish color. Been like 3 weeks out with no lid.

If you’re buying more than a zip, get a test for you or your customer’s safety and sanity.

10 Likes

150 posts in a thread about people complaining usually is how I tell the difference

This. Amber D8 is closer to D9 but is still super thick compared to D9, Clear D8 in the upper 90s will behave like a block of ice essentially until you heat it up.

6 Likes

TLC is not at all complicated.

6 Likes

Just get an ancient GC. You’ll have no regrets or problems!

1 Like

D9:
d9
D8:
ugly

15 Likes

@cyclopath Will TLC separate the isomers? What solvent combo do you use to achieve this?

Here’s a good read up on the process: Thin Layer Chromatography: A Complete Guide to TLC (chemistryhall.com)

7 Likes

Oh I’ve ran countless plates. I majored in ochem in college. I’m just surprised that the shifted double bond would alter the retardation factor enough for isomer resolution.

Thank you for the reference. I try to stockpile shit like that.

2 Likes

Ive had success separating isomers with 1:5 EtOAc hexane with a couple drops AcOH

4 Likes

The people that make it to the forum run the gamete when it comes to levels of understanding, and extrapolation. I’ve never even ran a plate! (I take that back, I did in high school.) But, that’s what I mean about levels. I can point to the websites that have helped me come to a better understanding of whatever processes though. And I try to assist when I can. I came to this site with literally 0 knowledge, and now I understand alot of the processes, BUT I’ve only ever done a few of the processes because I’m just some dude at home.

4 Likes

There are pictures here suggesting that…along with run conditions if I recall correctly. In one of the (countless) D8 threads.

Pretty sure @roiplek could produce one, not sure he’s posted such (no labels)

Certainly 2D TLC will get the job done (just rotate the plate 90o and drop it in a different solvent!!).

I’ve got an hplc coming…and haven’t run TLC on cannabinoids in years (since shortly after the folks I was with acquired a used SRI 8610c around 2014).

5 Likes

D8 is usually red tinted

and has a distinct smell

3 Likes

Have you met some of the people that post here? :joy:

6 Likes

If you’re familiar with D9, Delta 8 is not sticky like it should be. Had a friend stop thru a couple weeks back with some “dabs” he bought, and then I touched them red flags went off immediately. It was like touching water that wasn’t wet, or fire and not burning yourself.

It had a taffy consistency but was almost not sticky at all. Anyone can explain why delta 8 is not as sticky as delta 9, I’m very interested in the answer. I’ve never once even seen it mentioned before.

3 Likes

I’d be pretty pissed off if my water wasn’t wet damn it!
It’s been my experience with the D8 I’ve interacted with that it is sticky. It’s hard in the jar, and can either be pried out, or a shattered piece used. If I were to get some small chunks on my hands, or wherever it would melt and become an amazing pain in the ass.

4 Likes

Probably because its made from an isolate which contains no terpenes to alter the viscosity. Im sure you can make Rock hard d9 if done proper

6 Likes

Its basically a polymer i think… idk some peeps use catalyst from the polymer industry

3 Likes