How are people isomerizing cbd to d8?

Producers need to just exit that are using them. Fuck giving or selling better SOP’s if you can’t understand it or research it or develop it, exit please, you’re fucking it up for those of us that spent the time and stress in educating ourselves

7 Likes

Why do you think the market is getting fucked up by it? Aren’t the compounds the same regardless of the road that takes you there? I haven’t tried clays yet, but I’ve seen people use it here and it seems to work fine.

1 Like

Have you never seen the chromatogram from a clay reaction? It’s not that I think this, this is fact in chemistry. It’s a poor choice that will never yield a quality OR consistent product, results in multiple other isomers and unknowns. Do you understand that a result of 64% D8 leaves you with 36% unknowns in your resin? If you’re ok with that then you’re part of the industry problem.

3 Likes

I have seen some and since the lab tests only test for 12 cannabinoids and there are over 128 known cannabinoids we know of it looks like the testing isn’t capable of finding out what they are yet. I was under the assumption there are two molecules (hydroxyl group?) of both d8 and d9, plus hu-331 oxidation that eluates around the same peak as d9 and d10 giving similar results as cbc. So I think we’re close to finding out what those mystery things are.

7 Likes

I’m not looking to take a dig at you, but can you tell me the purpose of defending poor chemistry with clays? Does it matter if they find out what the unknowns are? Of course but does not change the fact it’s a terrible method and imo remediation of acids is not complex and yields much better end results, consistent results.

1 Like

I’m asking, cause I don’t know and wanted to hear your input since I find all kinds of information for a lot of people and I’m genuinely curious to find out what the compounds created actually are. I just found out about the hu-331 molecule and it’s anticarcinogenic traits. This was news to me, it seems like some of these compounds are actually really beneficial and as such I want more research to be done, that is all.

3 Likes

He’s not defending any ills, man. You arbitrarily use a phrase like “poor chemistry,” with a name like “TrueScience,” and claim you received your education from yourself, that’s all well and good, but perhaps you should bring it a little less hard

7 Likes

Acidic clay method produce more or less the same results as various acids discussed on this forum (e.g. phosphoric, acetic, chlorhydric, sulfuric, citric), like 60-70% d8, 10-15% of likely d10, and often less other unknowns than hcl for instance (let’s say about 20-25 compounds, most being below 1%)… only tolysic acid seems to be really different.

6 Likes

Why is tolysic acid so different?

11 Likes

Please tell me “DI-Rye” stands for deionized rye lol. Laughing my ass off

5 Likes

1-ethoxy-THC has been reported as a synthetic byproduct in certain syntheses. Most labs arent going to have the capability or standards to detect such obscure compounds tho…

1 Like

wouldn’t the mol sieves get damaged in the acid.

tosic is a strong acid and most sieves are made from potassium or sodium ions.

maybe someone started using them and they worked as a stirring aid and that was the difference.

2 Likes

Molecular sieve beads float on the surface of the solution. They do interact with the solution but they don’t aid in stirring from what I can tell.

not in reaction just for drying.

sorry my misread ive heard of people using them in reactions.

1 Like
3 Likes

Some do as it supposed to catch side reactions :man_shrugging:t2:

Have yet to see that to be the case

2 Likes

The one time I used sieves while stirring, I did an overnight reflux in a certain acid and came back in morning to find they had disintegrated into mush. Lol.

I think main purpose of the sieves is to pull water out to drive the reaction forward and lessen side reactions.

2 Likes

I’m a bit surprised by that. I’ve done overnight refluxes with p-tsa monohydrate, zinc chloride, zinc bromide, and triisobutylaluminium with 3a Zeolite in the flask. I’ve never seen the beads turn to mush. What catalyst caused that?

3 Likes

my thoughts on that would be not very strong ceramic that the zeolite is made from or and

the fact that most commercial zeolite is made from sodium and potassium ions.

one for 4a and one for 3a.

when you put them in acid it eats them unless they are of the special variety that are able to handle
acids and are quite expensive.

even if they don’t breakdown to the human eye trust me there measurements in angstrom is all
fucked up afterwards making them useless no matter what you do with them.

Mole Sieve is an alkali metal alumino-silicate, the potassium form of the type A crystal structure. 3 Angstrom is created when part of the sodium ions of the 4 Angstrom sieve are replaced by potassium ions.

dry remove react.

or if you really want to use zeolite to dry your reaction run a soxhlet with the zeolite in it so that
only the solvent refluxes into the zeolite and not the acid.

this is often how i’ve done fisher esterfications as if you put the zeolite in the acid it
does not work.

the reason for this is that you actually have to remove water for a fisher esterfication.

this isomerization does not add water to the system it just moves bonds and hydrogen atoms.

if its dry its dry.

if you want the one pot then use a different drying agent.

still goes to prove that it does not create water otherwise “if” the reaction was effected by water
yours would be as once the acid is in there the zeolite is not drying anything anymore.

I would not be surprised if the reaction your using has been enhanced to use too much acid
to make up for the amount of sodium or potassium phosphate or tosate that is generated.

you may find that if you change what you do with your zeolite you will effect yield unless you change
the acid ratios to match the loss of alkali ions from the system.

ECHO

… echo echo echo echo

4 Likes