HIA announced its position that all hemp-derived cannabinoids are Federally legal, Including Delta-8 THC

The Hemp Industries Association yesterday announced support for the legal position that Delta-8 THC, along with all other hemp-derived cannabinoids, were federally legalized by the 2018 Farm Bill, citing a legal opinion drafted by attorneys Rod Kight and Philip Snow of Kight Law.

[Learn More]

6 Likes

Including D9?

7 Likes

Notice how they don’t address the D9? Just hemp derived cannabinoids are legal

Says nothing about 0.3 limit lol

5 Likes

Why would it though? The 0.3 limit is pretty clearly stated in the farm bill

Once it’s over .3%, it’s no longer “hemp”, but it is still “hemp derived”…

5 Likes

How is it hemp derived if it doesn’t come from hemp?

Marijuana isn’t hemp

Because the plant it came from was below 0.3%, before it was concentrated.

The HIA took position to publicly swallow all finishing positioned investors, gagging for policymakers to be guided by money and industry leaders to adopt standards and practices that put Public Prostitution benefits first.

2 Likes

Yes, but you’re not selling a crude extract to the public WIPHE is different than a retail hemp product

That really doesn’t come to bear on my point (aside from the obvious fact that people ARE selling hot product…)

If “all” hemp derived cannabinoids are legal, then d9 derived from a hemp.plant would be legal. At the very least this is very wrongly worded opinion. Should be "all (except for d9)'… Unless they think otherwise?

4 Likes

I just can’t help but feel opposed to this. It seems wrong to hold a position of open market for an intoxicating product that is going to be consumed by minors. I understand the position of d8 as a d9 alternative in prohibition states for adults looking to get the intoxicating effects, but without any rules this is going to end up in the wrong hands.

This feels similar to K2 or spice, and we are standing up for it which does not sit right with me. Pure d8 is surely more safe than either of those options, but we know not everyone is creating safe well tested d8 for consumers.

Then again I see that this could be a preventative measure to stop a cascade of federal regulations coming down that are overreaching. I just hope d8 does not hurt the industry more than that possibility. Feds see intoxicating product and they do not seem to care where it comes from, they just want to shut it down.

14 Likes

Skrrrrrrt sorry famalam Texas Pharma makes the same test results as SD Pharma. No relation I swear.

It’s clean d8 honest to God results

In Texas. Hemp derived means SEND IT

7 Likes

What youre supposed to do and what ppl are doing are 2 different things, the only persons actions you can speak for are your own so are you selling hot product to the public? I know Im not.

Considering the definition of HEMP states a d9 content under .3% I think you can answer your own question on that one. There are ppl that will argue ALL d9 from hemp is legal (meaning the d9 fractions you can collection from chroma are legal since it came from a legal hemp product and were remediated) Idk if theyre trying to make that statement but in the first court case they won against the DEA the court ruled the DEA couldnt enforce natural THCs from things not from marijuana and that werent synthetic

Basically the DEA said all hemp seeds are illegal because they COULD contain THC, they lost that case and got checked.

You could argue d9 from legal hemp is legal (not converting it)

1 Like

Really you think? I have been saying this all year and nobody seems to realize what a bad idea this is.

3 Likes

Just for your reference

1 Like

I think plenty of people on here agree with you including myself. I think most often the arguments come down to ethics and the law. On this matter they do not align well and/or are so vague it creates space for controversy.

3 Likes

To be fair here it’s not like minors aren’t buying D9 products illegally or alcohol.

I feel the main point the HIA is trying to make is that by making something illegal you push it to the black market which is even worse. In an appropriately regulated legal market there are check points to ensure safety of products before human consumption.

13 Likes

I’d be all for seeking d8 in such an environment, but it seems like the checks aren’t really there. They aren’t even stopping people from selling hot carts consistently.

4 Likes

If a minor is already buying from the black market why not stick with d9? I doubt black market d8 is very sought after if someone has a good source for d9 (purely speculative). In that case then pushing it into a well regulated legal market (which IMO I do not think exists) would only make it more accessible for minors, especially since the legal market for hemp derived products has such varying or lack of age restrictions.

The caveat to all this (as you mentioned) is if there is a large demand in the black market for d8 products then yes it could be worse. Personally I think d8 is popular for its convenience, legality and accessibility right now and that leads kids who don’t want to deal with a sketchy plug to go to these products instead.

2 Likes