HHC Naming and Possible Confusion

Now that there are various HHC products being sold, we decided to write a quick paper on HHC naming.

Please find it here: Discussion of Naming and Abbreviating Hexahydrocannabinol 220107.pdf (380.7 KB)

Note: The file has been updated since first posting. Thank you, Dr. Scialdone, for making the error known to us.

A key takeaway: “This use of HHC as an abbreviation for (-)-9-nor-9b-hydroxyhexahydrocannabinol
may be problematic because it has the potential to create confusion and uncertainty about the identity and properties of the substance incorporated into products offered for sale to the public unless more specific names and identifications are used.”

38 Likes

Shameless bump.

I want to add that we’re seeing more and more material labeled HHC end up being d8 or a mixture of d8 and other isomers (e.g. d10 and d6a,10a). I’m not sure if these are simple mistakes from not labeling liters correctly or if these are being misrepresented and sold. I feel like its a bit of both.

Be careful what you buy! We can help identify.

19 Likes

Will delete this, but free bump.

1 Like

:100::100::100::100::woman_facepalming:

Bump bump bump, very well written thank you!

3 Likes

Not labeling liters correctly is not a simple mistake.

It is a five alarm fuckup.

9 Likes

This is great work, thank you @kcalabs . Reposted on IG, mostly to see how fast it gets removed.

6 Likes

Misrepresenting D8 as another cannabinoid is a widespread practice.

I consider it safe to assume at this point that all ‘D10’ in the c-stores & smoke shops is D8 until proven otherwise.

They’ll even make up DX or DXX just to have something ‘new’ to sell to retailers / wholesalers.

Thanks for the write-up!

6 Likes

Great work! Glad someone is going against the stereotype :wink: #transparency #matters

7 Likes

Real shit a former client hit me up the other day ,“hey brother what’s this d11 I’m hearing about. This company has a patent process for it. Can we get on this before it gets big?”

Asked for the patent/company name and never got a response. Not only will people lie about cannabinoids, but the existence of patents for the non existent cannabinoids.

8 Likes

People rushing to market with whatever they can get there hands on, calling it whatever it needs to be smdh :frowning: never a good look for the industry

1 Like

Thank you @kcalabs this is exactly what I have been worried about.

Synthesis is hard and the first thing you learn as a synthetic chemist is how to identify what you have made.

I have been handed all sorts of hhc products that when I ask about the synthesis parameters, I can figure out that there’s going to be a bunch of different byproducts and products made and present in that material. Calling it hhc without proper analytics is just wrong

4 Likes

Just heard of a situation where a “reputable lab” in Colorado sold someone HHC and after getting it retested it came back to be d8 and d10 mixture.

If the price is too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

5 Likes

This is the issue in wanting exclusivity on a testing standard to corner the market and why it just hurts everyone in the industry.

I think it’s also the reason the price dropped so quick

If your the only lab that has a standard and 3rd party verified testing why would you price match the people that don’t?

7 Likes

who could have predicted a third party testing lab getting in bed with a manufacturer would be a bad thing for the industry and their reputation?

withhold testing of a popular product > bad product starts circulating > “quick, write a dimensionless white paper about what shorthand to use when discussing HHC isomers (??) and warn about bad product that’s circulating!”

12 Likes

I’m pretty sure they’ll test it for anyone now

Future compounds has a coa from them and I asked about it and they said they can test anyone’s hhc now

6 Likes

I understand this, but there’s clearly been some damage done. People have been selling fake HHC, and its been very easy for them to get away with it up to this point.

6 Likes

d11-THC is one of three possible names for the THC isomer in which the double bond is exocyclic.

I guess the most correct way of naming that structure is d9(11)-THC, implying that the double bond is between carbons 9 and 11.

One could also call it d11(9), but a double bond involving carbon 11 can only be between 11 and 9, so the 9 is implied, hence, d11 is acceptable and unambiguous naming.

I prefer the name exo-THC, which also appears in the scientific literature.

Summarized here:

11 Likes

The price has crashed quickly almost to the point of not even being worth the time or resources to produce it.

Do you think that’s going to change because everyone can test now?

1 Like

The CCL-KCA collusion surrounding HHC is some of the most inane shit one can imagine. I’m not asking what were they thinking since they obviously didn’t think.

5 Likes