Hexane Safe Pumps

I appreciate your concern. I will be purchasing respirators soon, but we do have adequate ventilation because my lab is in a garage bay that used to be a paint booth and we have a 3ft exhaust fan that we run constantly when we are working. We take safety very seriously when working with hexane as I know how volatile it is as a solvent.

Currently I have a cheapo HF rotary vane vac that I have been using for my rotovap. After reading the replies here it seems I should be using a diaphragm vac as I have been having to change the oil in my vac after every run since it is pulling in hexane. As for routing, I planned on getting 2 barbed fittings for my reactor lid that would allow me to connect my vac to one port and have another line going down to my solvent solution.

The reason I donā€™t do this is because it takes forever to get my reactor up to temp with my heating loop, and mixing the CBD into the solvent would require shoving a kilo of isolate through a 24/40 fitting, or completely disassembling the adgitator and removing the lid. Iā€™d much rather use vac to suck up my solution than have to tear down my reactor before every use. Hope that makes sense

Get on Amazon and order a cheap Teflon diaphragm pump. The happy buy pumps work fine and are under $500. Best way to move Hexane around that Iā€™ve found. Be sure to use anti static hose.

2 Likes

using a cold trap with a rotary vane pump isnā€™t optional btw

1 Like

Pictures of your reactor please. Iā€™m concerned.

As @roiplek said cold trap isnā€™t optional when pulling explosive solvent with an electric rotary vane. And if itā€™s not vented to the exterior of your workspace via frictionless duct and spark resistant ventilationā€¦well then you sir have a ticking time bomb

3 Likes

Youā€™re right. I shouldā€™ve been using one all along. I will be making a list of things I need to be running safer. Cold trap, respirators, and a new vac pump are at the top of the list. As for a picture of my reactor, I am running the 5L from USALAB. Here is a picture of my lab setup. Sorry itā€™s not a good pictire. Not pictured is the exhaust fan up above. It may or may not be ex proof as it used to be a paint booth, but it does a great job of moving the air out of the bay rather quickly.

1 Like

You should stack your cold traps. They work more efficiently stacked because of the way the vapor travels. Just a thought

1 Like

Are you referring to the cold traps on my SPD or for my reactor? I am not sure what you mean. Also, does anyone have a line on a stainless cold trap that wonā€™t break the bank? Iā€™m seeing about 1k for stainless cold trap from usalab or bvv. Not sure if there are better deals out there.

@Killa12345 had them for like 300 bucks or something. Yes the SPD, you want your second cold trap hooked up to the first by the bottom port. Stacked.

1 Like

Okay, thatā€™s what I was thinking you meant, took a sec to visualize. Iā€™ll definitely run it that way next time. Oh yeah, why didnā€™t I think of killa!

3 Likes

im outta stock on stainless traps for another week or 2. Tracking shows the sea container here on 8/1, but it still needs to move threw customs and get delieveredā€¦ should be back in stock super soon though

2 Likes

Okay, I probably wonā€™t be doing another run before then, so Iā€™ll just wait until you got em in. If you wouldnā€™t mind to shoot me a message when you got em, Iā€™ll place an order. Also wanna talk to you about setting up a little closed loop as well.

3 Likes

i will throw you on the dry erase board right this secondā€¦thanks alwaysā€¦

3 Likes

A peristaltic pump with hexane compatible tubing would be your best choice for this situation. I donā€™t have any brands in mind to recommend for you. Since the pump just squeezes some tubing to do itā€™s work it just comes down to your choice of tubing.

2 Likes

See, I thought about doing that because I am a fan of peristaltic pumps, but I think Iā€™m gonna use vac to move my solvent around. Gives me a reason to invest in a skookum vac!

2 Likes

Roiplek any other oil less vacuum pumps you recommend that can get that low but not as expensive. Max Ā£1500 - Ā£3000 Cheers

none sadly. once you get below 0.6mbar, wallet go brrrrrr

4 Likes

Buy a used pump

Yeah been looking for used pumps but their hard to find in the UK especially one that performs like that vacuubrand, Iā€™m always on the lookout for a oil less dry/chemical resistant pump that pumps down past 0.1 torr