Hexane Safe Pumps

Hey guys. Was searching around for a transfer pump that is both hexane rated and not going to break the bank. I would like to use a pump to transfer < 5L of Hexane/CBD into my 5L reactor. So far we have been heating hexane & CBD in a pot on a hotplate and the pouring via funnel into my reactor, but I REALLY don’t like doing that and would love a safe & easy way of getting the solvent mix into my reactor. I would love to use a magnet drive pump but I am not sure if they will work with hexane or not. I thought about using an air operated double diaphragm pump, but it seems overkill for such small volume I am working with. Does anybody have any elegant solutions to this problem?

1 Like

If you want cheap, a trs21 can do the job

2 Likes

How well will that pump tolerate a 1:1 hexane:CBD mixture?

1 Like

Oh lol probably not well at all.

What kind of vessels do u have on hand?

Something like this would work well if you have a pot to pressurize

1 Like

We don’t really have any fancy solvent vessels. Currently we are using a hand pump to pump the hexane out of a barrel into a stainless pot that we put on a hotplate to heat it up and dissolve the CBD. I was hoping to find a pump that i can drop one hose into my pot and feed the other hose into the port on my reactor.

Okay, yeah I see what you mean. Unfortunately I don’t have any vessels that would be suited to using positive pressure displacement.

I’m sure someone will have a better answer

Dude I appreciate your info! My lab is super redneck at the moment because I’m trying to save up $$ to invest in much better equipment. Just trying to make my janky lab a little safer and work a little better for the time being.

1 Like

Would anyone know if using this pump would work? I figured I might open it up and change the o-ring out for viton.

Lol that diptube I posted is super redneck :sweat_smile:

Hey, it looked cleanly built!!

That mag drive pump looks perfect, but I’d be concerned about what the o ring is made of since it’s meant for beer and not hydrocarbons.

Simple thing to just swap it to a viton o ring if it’s not already

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Figured I could pop it open and throw a viton o’ring in there and call it a day.

Use a diaphragm pump hooked up to an air compressor. There are cheap ones rated for hexane.

Gimme a sec.

I bought mine from here.

https://www.hardwarefactorystore.com/products/diaphragm-pump?_pos=5&_sid=78ce8b958&_ss=r

1 Like

Pull vacuum on your reactor and suck the solution in. I move almost all my solvent around my facility with vacuum.

16 Likes

I can attest to the functionality of the vacuum pull too.

5 Likes

it’s also safer and does not need specialized pumps, making it 100% more economically and environmentally attractive.

8 Likes

Honestly that sounds much easier than dealing with pumps. So pull vac on the top of the reactor and then use another fitting with a hose on it to pull solvent in? Should it have a dip tube on the solvent in side to prevent liquid from going into the vac line?

1 Like

Gravity alone will prevent that if the liquid isn’t splashing like crazy or you’ve overfilled the reactor. Better put a Woulff bottle between the reactor and the vac source to catch droplets.

2 Likes

You shouldn’t need to have the vac pump on while your doing this, just building up vac in your reactor and closing it off will work.

2 Likes