Help with a batch of bho

I was wondering if you guys might be able to lend me a hand with some suggestions on this batch of bho that is not cooperating.

Closed loop. Passive. Dry ice and denatured alcohol in the column and used for passive recovery. Recovered at 85f with a sous vide.

I cannot get this concentrate to do anything. It won’t shatter. It won’t crumble (which is what I was aiming for). Its just kind of this goop. I can’t handle it as it’s way too sticky. I took this small sample and put it in the oven over night at 100f to see what would happen. Nothing. Same consistency.

Is there any way to get this to crumble up? I’ve tried different temps in the oven and times and I still get this same sticky mess.

Other batches ran with the same parameters after the questionable batch above respond as you think they would after a taffy pull. Like this.

Anything you can recommend would be really appreciated. Thanks!

What strain did you blast? I had a similar thing happen with a strain called Blue Mystic. I just left it in the oven pulling vac for a couple extra days and it sugared but stayed sticky and unworkable. Tasted amazing though! I’m pretty sure i figured out why it did this though. It was a high terpene strain. Some of the most pungent stuff I ever smelled. Terpenes Evaporates at a higher temp than tane so I reckon if I had to do it again i would sacrifice terps for stability and crank her way up. If it were just for personal though I’d just dab as is!

I believe the strain was blueberry. As I was told. it usually autocrumbes, however the batch was a bit old.

I wish it was for personal. its not. its for a customer and im pretty bummed about it.

I tried a sample at 130f for about 3-4 hours. same consistency. its like i cant get it to change no matter what I do.

i guess I can try pulling a vac on it again. its probably too late. not too sure to be honest. pretty frustrated with this one.

1 Like

redissolve it in butane and try again

3 Likes

Whip it

1 Like

I havent considered that.

gives me something to think about and research.

thank you.

When it was fresh out the pot. it was whipped. Then it was pulled like taffy for a while. then it just turned into goop instead of crumbling, like everything else does. this is the first batch out of lord knows how many over the years and ive never came across something i couldnt fix with just gentle heat, time and pulling like taffy.

if it were my stuff i wouldnt be so concerned. the problem is, im told that stuff usually is the one that autocrumbles so im sitting here looking like a dumbass, which i maybe, but i try not to.

Ive had issuses like this before. 1. some sort of way you pulled water in your run. As stated above redissolve In butane or etho. Might as well winterize if not than heat and a magnetic stirrer would do the trick. Im leaning to h20 due to the texture and color but the next two also gave me problems. 2. I’ve had batches with pesticides that was sprayed in the last month or two and I couldn’t get it to shatter. But I’ll see a white film on top of of the bho in recovery. 3. I’ve had batches with a lot of terp boosters such as terpnator that we’re just weird.

1 Like

Moisture may have possibly been an issue.

I actually know no pesticides were used.

Since I’ve never had to redissolve a batch before. Would the simplest way to be load it into my platter, chill it down then blast a couple lbs of butane in it minus the column?

If it is water… What does this process do exactly? I’m not questioning it. Just trying to learn. Will the water vapor end up in my butane and this is where a mol seive comes into play?

Ya your molsieve should be catching any wayer vapors in your solvent vapors. They need to be recharged or changed and i would every month empty all solvent tanks to make sure no wayer had accumulated in the tank. Ive had the same problem as your having and its either to many terps or water would be my guess seems like you’ve done it many times successfully so highly doubt its your technique

I guess I missed an important detail.

This was the very first batch ran with that solvent. Brand new 20lb tank from usalab. Brand new mastercool #15 tank. It was distilled twice before I ran it. It should have been dry from a butane standpoint. The material, it had a bit of humidity in it. Not much, but some.

So I guess that maybe a problem forth coming, but shouldnt have been for that run.

I will look into the molsieve beads and how to implement them into the system so I dont run into that. Thanks for the heads up!

I appreciate all of the help everyone.

If it’s water a vac should help

Only other thing if it doesn’t ur material to old

1 Like

So this batch was from the same run. Two different strains. All dried and packaged the same. Same time.

Must be moisture difference between the two. Something. It’s driving me nuts. :slight_smile:

I guess maybe I’ll try and redissolve is and vac it. Or maybe just some heat and vac to try the easy route.

1 Like

If you have water in the material I suggest dissolve in iso or etho, (preferably etho, has no water) & roto that shit till you find the point of being able to pull the moisture.

You can also get a mol sieve and then just “rerun” the material might help to remove some moisture. Ive been right where you are, just cant figure out why its not working when it has so many other times. When we ise to run blue dream it would usually auto budder or sugar up even with out vac. Good luck im sure you’ll figure it out

1 Like

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

I’ll go over to usalabs and get some beads and build a molsieve out of some 1.5" parts I have laying around.

Make sure to wash them to remove the dust, you can just use water then dry in an oven vac or household. Vac oven would give tou the ability to use vac along with heat. Keep the sieve vertical so gas doesn’t pool in it and if possible i use to have mine wrapped in heating bkankets i got from cvs not hot just warm enoungh to keep it in the vapor stage and use a round top lid it makes a vortex ineide the sieve so apmost all the vapor will come in contact with the beads

1 Like

is there a chance it has a decent amount of cbd ? Most cbd strains sap out and won’t crumble regardless of how much you whip sometimes

1 Like

Unfortunately not. I wish it were that easy of an explanation.

Just a regular thc blueberry strain.

Im going to try and warm it up to 90f sometime this weekend and see what happens when i pull a vac on it. if that doesnt look promising i guess I’ll try the redissolve route.

thoughts and prayers. :wink:

Oh you need to rerun the solvent in a dry run before you put fresh material in it in the close loop. You might have mystery oil in it. this was your first run that could be effecting your product. Always fresh bottles should be run through your closed loop with no material. This will drop any impurities left in the tane. Also to avoid moisture when your dewaxing the column tkeep the vacuum on through out the whole time till you ready to feed solvent in your column.

1 Like