Help for Dr. Tom’s (@mitokid) wife and son

Friends of the Future4200 Forum,

NOTE: Out of respect for Dr. Tom’s wife and son, please Do NOT SHARE this outside the Future4200 forum or on any social media.

It is with a heavy heart that I relay the news that @Mitokid (Dr. Tom) passed away sometime during the night of August 16th.

Dr. Tom was an amazing man and a brilliant chemist. We worked side by side together for two months and talked from 8am to 8pm all day for three more months after that until the day he passed away.
But more than that he was like an older brother to me.

He was a great teacher and an amazing friend. He was my new best friend, and the love and attention he gave me and my professional development was unlike anything anyone has ever done for me. It made many things possible for me that seemed out of reach and he made me strive to be a better person.

I also know for a fact that I’m not the only one on this forum for whom Dr Tom’s presence, knowledge and attention made a huge impact

We will be setting up a formal fundraiser in the coming weeks, in order to assist his family through this devastating time.

For now, I am just trying to get a small amount of money together quickly to help reduce the financial stress for his wife in the immediate, and without creating a competing GoFundMe to the formal one that will be set up in the coming weeks.

As Dr. Tom helped many of us here with his generosity of time and knowledge, it would be nice to see if just those of us on this forum can raise $5K quickly. A small way to honor him and show appreciation for his contributions both to this community and many of us personally.

Let’s see if we can raise the $5K by September 9, 2022

You can donate via his wife’s PayPal, Venmo, and CashApp accounts:

-PayPal: @mitowoman

-Venmo: @mitowoman

-CashApp: $mitowoman4

-Zelle: mitowoman@gmail.com
(Kathleen Szabo, Wells Fargo)

Questions can be sent to his son at mitoson08@gmail.com

I miss you Dr. Tom

Help spreading this message within the forum is encouraged and appreciated:

@Kingofthekush420 @Sidco_Cat @Future

69 Likes

The world is now lesser and the future is more dull without him.

He was a thoughtful, passionate, helpful man.

He had clear, strong ethics and the resolve to both express and defend what was right.

He was generous with his knowledge, time, and attention.

He had a brilliant scientific mind and an intimate understanding of both organic and medicinal chemistry. Genius is not an exaggeration.

He was my dear friend, just as I am sure he was to many of you.

He was my trusted, respected consul on all matters.

Like he did for so many, he believed in me, he insisted that I mattered, that I could do many things I was not so sure i could pursue.

He also encouraged my ideas and work with the various Shulgin Legacy projects I’ve been dedicated to for the last eleven years. He was my biggest cheerleader and the reason I pursued and was hired at ASRI earlier this year.

He was my newest best friend.
He was my chemistry teacher and mentor.
He was one of my favorite humans to be around.

Life without him will be considerably less fun, cool, and exciting.

He lived by and believed in a simple philosophy that one should,
“Always do the right thing, for no other reason than it’s the right thing to do, and without concern for one’s personal profit or loss”

I will forever miss seeing that giant grin spread across his face as I spotted him through the lab windows every morning, and I was honored and happy to have his wife tell me that Dr Tom loved me right back, and had mentioned that having me at the lab with him for those two months brought him a lot of joy and happiness.

I’ve never before so immediately connected with, felt so aligned with, or loved anyone as I did with Dr Tom.

I am reduced by his absence in a thousand ways.

36 Likes

Ahhh, Mark. Big hugs. Thanks for the opportunity to support the family. @sidco what’s a better place for this than the echo chamber? Could you move it to a more public spot?

5 Likes

Also, is there a way we can keep this topic open at least until the 9th regardless of comment frequency?

Thank you for your help and support.
:heart:

6 Likes

That’s why we’ll move it. To keep it open and so people can see it.

3 Likes

Some good @mitokid comments here:

13 Likes

Tragic to read. He was very kind and silently supportive of many here. Rest in peace and will make a donation in the near future.

@sidco please make this thread no longer closing in 24 hours after reply

8 Likes

Removed the timer

7 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

Oh dam, such a lost. I meet him about 6 years ago. He and his partner would come down to see us for crude. Such a vibrant man, his passion was contagious
He showed me how to correctly run a short path for terps.
He will definitely be missed.

23 Likes

Idk this guy and I never really interacted with him. But I’m sorry for everyone’s loss. The way you folks speak of him really shows he treated the people around him right, which is rare these days. It’s so easy to get caught up in the rat race of life and lose track of what is really important in life, relationships. Those pics with his kid (I’m assuming) really tugg on my heart strings. I’m not in a place financially where I can donate much, but I’m putting some positive thought out there for his family.

27 Likes

Moved this to GLG so more can see it if someone wants to move it to a more appropriate place please feel free to do so

4 Likes

Tom was a very special person

He helped push me to develop the acetylation sop that kca tested that was all cannabinoids and ND thc

He was a great teacher and he would push you past your limits. He literally gave me all the keys I needed for that sop and then was like " you’re a smart dude you got this you don’t need my help "
He had the scientific “fuck around and find out” type attitude

Anyone that donates over 1k to his fund I’ll give that sop to, it’s the least I can do for someone who helped me and inspired me

The day he died I was driving back from CA and when I found out I started crying. We weren’t as close as we use to be but I knew how big of a loss this was for our community and the psychedelic community in general.

He sent me this that day

Never seen a double rainbow before…

I know it was him though

19 Likes

I got $20 on it, and I’m broke. Come on y’all, I know this place is generous as fuck when somebody here needs some help!

13 Likes

Broke as fuck too but tossed 10 bucks in - this has got to be tough on a family and as a dude who has one I can’t imagine the spot they must be in

13 Likes

Our community lost an extremely energetic and giving scientific mind. A very good guy.

15 Likes

That’s sad man, I enjoyed reading his posts. Will donate later this week. Rest In Peace @mitokid

9 Likes

Legends never die. REST EASY.

8 Likes

@mj_martini here you go

2 Likes

Is this thread visible to everyone? @mj_martini can’t find it anymore.

1 Like