Hello Professionals! What's the best way to decarb and infuse into oil at home in small batches?

I’m reading about it, but is there a best way based on science, testing, and experience?

I’m really wanting to do this in small batches so as to experiment more and waste less.

I also do not want to decarb in the oven and then infuse, I’d like to decarb in hot oil using a laser thermometer.

To be pedantic about it, the best way is the way that best suits your goals and available resources, especially equipment and time.

Decarb is time + temperature so you can do lower temperature and longer time, or higher temperature and shorter time.*

I’ve had good luck with both extremes of that particular spectrum.

*Some provisos, terms and conditions, catalysts, or other modifiers may apply to the above overly broad general statement.

1 Like

I’ve had great luck visually identifying when bho/hash is done decarbing. When the bubbles stop completely you’re good to go it has been converted. Mixing it with another oil prior to doing this might make it more difficult. But maybe not it should still bubble. What type of oil and what amount

5 Likes

crock pots work great, as a simple solution. they arent the right solution mind you, but for simplicities sake

For small home batches i prefer to make an oil bath and use a temp gun to measure the oil temp i like to use coconut oil . Heat it up add your ingredients and wait for the bubbles to stop . My go to was about 200-250F . I never got why you would decarb seperately especially for traditional brownies / cookies made with infused cooking oil . Works great everytime quick and easy. In a rush i would go up to 275 to shorthen the amount of time needed for decarb .

I had a brownie company and I would decarb separately just to ensure the thca was fully broken down and that the thc wasnt overheated and converted into cbn. A little thca isnt bad imo and a little cbn isnt either. But the goal was for maximum thc. After it was decarbed we would use it 50/50 with sunflower oil then use that oil to medicate the edible product as needed.

here is the testing data I have using the GLG decarb SOP (loosely?)

Yes this oil was pretty decarbed when I bought it. It was prettty much BHO crude

edit: using 5% soy or sunflower lecithin is a nice boost to that 50/50 blend but for maths sake I think of it as a 50/50 it should really be 50% bho, 45% sunflower oil, 5% lecithin

Buy a Levo Machine it wil decarb and infuse into many oils and honey.

1 Like