Has anyone tried running cold pentane in a centrifuge designed for ethanol?

Does anyone have experience extracting with cold pentane? Mind sharing your process? Most of the gaskets used in ethanol extraction equipment are incompatible with pentane. Possible that extracting with -80C pentane makes those materials less susceptible to degradation?

1 Like

never extracted with pentane but i would say if a gasket is incompatible it’s incompatible, find compatible gaskets and don’t trust low temps to make what’s incompatible, compatible

14 Likes

multiple choices…

Rubber Chemical Resistance, Rubber Chemical Compatibility, Page 5 - Mykin Inc

EDIT: 1 IS GOOD. 5 IS BAD (link above has full key)

3 Likes

What gasket does your unit have ?
I extract with petroleum ether 40-60C Wich is 43% pentane straight from a fresh jug
Epdm and silicone are no GO s at any temp
-80C included

Pentane is known as a bad extraction solvent
So would like to know your reason ?

4 Likes

I’ll have to find out the specific composition, but when asked if their centrifuge was compatible with pentane, USA Labs said no because of gasket material.

I’ve found pentane to be a great extraction solvent in terms of making product with great color and consistencies compared to ethanol which is what I normally use. The reason I’ve used pentane vs butane is because our lab is equipped to extract with ethanol and we have no butane equipment.

1 Like

It makes sense that you can get a crystallization/consistency more similar to BHO with pentane. I have no other experience to guide you. But, I think that shit is going to get expensive quick. How much are you paying for pentane?

heptane would be a LOT Safer and c1d2. Pentane needs to be in a C1D1 space and should be handled like its butane.

Grounded everything will be required too.

16 Likes

Yeah, the solvent loss from not having a streamlined closed loop type process for extraction definitely results in some wasted solvent - mainly due to not being able to fully extract solvent from biomass. Haven’t really determined what the loss is per batch is. But I think ~$60 per gallon is what I’ve been buying.

Pure pentane is gona need 2 washes on the fuge first wash can be reused 8 times
2 wash only 2x to get 95% of your biomass

4 Likes

Sourcing the lid and rotor shaft seals in viton is absolutely possible in my experience.

The vendors are here…

5 Likes

Name the vendors please want to buy some asap

2 Likes

Depends on the fuge.

I sourced the viton lid seals for several Effison’s via @EffisonAndy

I got lid and shaft seals for four Koray’s from @Koray_Bella

Haven’t poked @TOPTIONextractor for parts yet.

Once you know what size/style of shaft seals you’re dealing with you can purchase from most industrial seal/bearing houses.

I haven’t found a good source other than the oem for the lid seals (yet)

5 Likes

Has anyone tried running water as an extraction solvent in an ethanol centrifuge?
EtOH+h20 in plant is protic polar…
EtOH<MeOH<h20 …what’s the difference.
The buffering action of the biomass controls YOU.
Control IT by pH adjustment…

We are talking mainly cannabinoics here.
C1D2 vs tea brewing in kitchen….

Louche it or not…@cyclopath don’t chose the fuge chose the polarity…

12 Likes

Wondering where is the consensus from that pentane is a bad extraction solvent? I haven’t noticed a major difference in the hydrocarbons

4 Likes

I actually understood a good part of what you said here.

6 Likes

VITON GASKETS best option

2 Likes

Pentane is actually a great extraction solvent. Totally disagree. Run it using the spin-wash method in centrifuge and it can make great oil even at room temp. (I would cool it, not so much to improve product but to bring the volatility down).

Change everything to Viton.

6 Likes

Try for yourself
Dip a teabag of biomass in pentane
And another in hexane
Take coa from biomass

1 Like

Viton gaskets are superior IMO. Standard for butane extraction and capable of hitting really low temps without seal issues.

From a mechanical perspective, substantially increasing the density of your solvent may change the physical response of your system.

If you’ve got your fuge tuned for one solvent, then switch to a denser one, you may start to get overcurrent errors on your vfd.

This likely only really applies if you’re leaning on the system pretty hard though.

7 Likes