Has anyone tried running cold pentane in a centrifuge designed for ethanol?

Who does that?

4 Likes

Do you do fresh frozenā€¦where the biomass is 80% waterā€¦??

1 Like

Have done. We donā€™t generally. Makes a beautiful extract but itā€™s a lot of fucking around to do it properly - weā€™re mostly set up for working with dry material.

But early trials with fresh unfrozen were excessively promising. So thatā€™s something weā€™ll likely have in place for the next harvest season, if regulations allow.

5 Likes

You ever mess with MEK? Out of curiousity :thinking:

1 Like

Yes I can understand the variations neededā€¦there is a lot of water!

1 Like

May I ask how you filter pentane extractions? All of my ethanol filtration stuff is poly propylene (bags, cartridges, some housings, etc.) which is not compatible (I think).

1 Like

Iā€™ve ordered some heptane to try because of your comment. The reason I didnā€™t really think to bother with it initially is b/c of the b.p. difference. But extracting with pentane does for sure feel pretty sketchy without retooling the lab.

Yes it s polarity is a mess though

1 Like

I am not using it for extraction of noids presently but have done my research on its past uses related to cannabis/drugs. Been manufacturing some fun shit tho

Mec is a fairly much used solvent for it s not controled in Europe

2 Likes

Methyl ethyl ketone or Butanone.

To confirm same solvent. I forget world wide acronym changes

1 Like

Yes 1-butanone

1 Like

I would really pursue its capabilities. Fascinating fucker. If you can get the approval (dea lvl2 usa)

2Butanone*** is what i have access to for fun

Yust like
Dmf thf dma it s a marvelous cristalization solvent for cannabinoids (sinthetic or natural )
But prefure dmf or thf

1 Like

Magic solvent note taken**

1 Like

My luck has always been working in a RC lab so there are a shit load of reagents on the shelf making side projects a quicky
And learning along the way :grin:

3 Likes

XD i am just playing around and reviewing all the goodies I have constant access to

1 Like

Polyester should work.

1 Like

@tetramethylsilane Nylon is very compatible with pentane/hexane/heptane.

Edit: a little bit less good with hexane.

2 Likes