Has anyone done time/temperature testing on ethanol extraction?

Heyo,

I’ve read a bunch on here that somewhere between -40c to -86c is the ideal solvent temperature for etoh extracts, and a soak time anywhere from 2-20 mins.

I’m curious if anyone’s spent the time isolating variables of time and temperature for efficiencies sake at scale. Going through dry ice, or even the extra time/energy needed on a cryo chiller to get the ethanol from -20 to -30 to -40+ starts to bottleneck any process and the energy use grows exponentially.

I was curious about doing some flash pulls (under 1 min) (maybe in my new panda?) at some easier to hit temperatures (-18, -25, -30). Has anyone tried this kinda thing? I’m trying to make shatter so I’m guessing if i start picking up much waxes it’s going to be problematic.

2 Likes

at a guess I’d say it’s been done. repeatedly.

eg, it is absolutely what is meant by “for science” by @Lincoln20XX here…

do you have any analytical equipment?

2 Likes

No analytical equipment unfortunately :frowning: it’s on my list of things to buy after a big vacuum pump.

I was thinking it would be easy to do with the panda, just do a spray nozzle in through the plastic roof, make sure it sprays into a cone or fan shape or something.

sure, but without anyway to test the output, all you get is color & weight.

which is why @Lincoln20XX is also shopping for analytical equipment.

absolute product weight is not an accurate measure of extraction efficiency.

it is the most commonly used metric.

1 Like

If it hasn’t been done I’ll eat my hat… However, I haven’t been able to find any publicly available data.

If someone wants to finance my R&D efforts to the tune of about $25k USD I’ll share the room temperature extraction data I plan on generating later this year. Cryo testing might appear on my roadmap at some point in the future.

3 Likes

Yeah I need to start testing for sure.

The metrics I’m most worried about is texture and colour when it comes to shatter. There’s a disconnect in the market between potency and price. People don’t pay per mg of thc, so it’s almost beneficial to have a 70% etoh shatter instead of 85%. I guess there’s theoretically a sweet spot in time and temperature to get the highest shatter yield before it goes waxy.

yep. another of those “obvious to anyone skilled in the art” that is being played close to the chest because it’s cannabis and that’s how we do things.

that said, I’m also in need of that data, and the CUP and GC I was planning on using are less accessible these days.

I might consider defraying some of those R&D costs to get confirmation on my numbers :wink:

4 Likes

exactly. and it may well vary depending on equipment, input, and desired endpoint.

1 Like

The notes are long since lost, but I found -40c, using dry ice directly in my solvent, with a 10 minute soak time, solvent reusued 3-4 times before recovering, to be the best bet for the time/place.

Recovering residual solvent from the flower with a centrifuge (washing machine in this case) is crucial to maintaining yields.

Based on color, lack of need to winterize,and residual Cannabinoids on flower (tested by washing a jar of spent flower a second time with fresh solvent, then recovering and analytically testing that crude)

I’d say we were recovering 75-80% of the total available Cannabinoids, which was perfectly suitable for 5+ years of old OMMP biomass “Trashbag Mountain”.

8 Likes

If anyone here is in the OLCC system and can set up a legitimate metrc transfer, we can run potencies for these proposed trials. Samples go onto the HPLC every Friday.

2 Likes

I can provide you samples at these variables . I’ve been very curious myself on if we can drop temp from -40 to - 60 and see any significant changes on our crude.

2 Likes

Were you soaking a new batch of flower every soak with your recycled ethanol? 4:1 ratio? Or were you re-soaking the 1st batch of flower with the same ethanol?

How would yield suffer from doing room temp extraction vs subzero extraction? I’m guessing the winterization and filter would net greater losses after it’s said and done?

2 Likes