Harvest right Freeze Dryer - Difference between pharmaceutical and Home freeze dryer?

Hello everyone I was curious if anyone knows the difference between a home freeze dryer and a pharmaceutical freeze dryer from harvest right? So far the only difference I can see is about an additional 40% increase in price. But their website says nothing about it.

Explosion Proof. +/- Sterile. Power Efficient.

Who cares about explosions if you’re only using it for solventless ice water?.. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

From what ive been told the pharma version lets u set more of the variables but from people making just hash, they said it wasnt worth it. It might be worth it for people trying to specific reactions or something, but other than that its not worth it imo

2 Likes

Bet - going with the home if that’s the case. Thanks everyone

1 Like

I believe the pharma one has more room from the small vs small w the home also the pharma does use some special plug i guess I’m not sure never was told what the plug type is actually but ya…I’m. Considering the home ver too…

1 Like

They both suck. One costs more.

2 Likes

Anyone have experience using one for food and hash? Curious if it can impact flavor after freeze drying salmon or something

If you wouldn’t put your hash in a fridge that smells like food, don’t make your shitty harvest right smell like a fridge.

What freeze dryer brand would you recommend?

2 Likes

For the size/money/functionality I’d go with the beast @Apothecary36 made. Then you’d have a vac oven and a freeze dryer with the right TCUs. The only modification I’d make for the benefit of continuous processing is dual (parallel) cold traps so while one thaws you can use the other.
The ability to individually control shelves and have a colder cold trap is a major difference if you’re trying to lyophilize things pharmaceutically, or collect terpenes… if you just want to freeze dry the flower/hash and you don’t care about specifics like primary and secondary drying with proper parameters such as glass and eutetic temps in mind then the basic model will certainly work from harvest right.

1 Like

The pharmaceutical version should come with qualification documents- IQ/OQ along with potential 21 CFR Part 11 requirements regarding the software. Grade of stainless steel may also differ, i.e 304 vs 316L. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks! If anyone wants to organize a demo I can make it happen in Eureka, CA

3 Likes

Where can I find more info on your unit?

3 Likes

indeed any information on the unit you built ? am in the market for a freeze dryer keep seeing alot of people say harvest rights suck… But only seeing 15k+ units as alternatives

2 Likes

Its a 150 gallon tank with 2 temperature controlled shelves. Using a polyscience ad15, you can control the temperature to a very precise measurement from -25 c to 200 c depending on compatible fluids.

This system can be used for a wide variety of tasks. Obviously freeze drying is the discussion at hand. I would set the polyscience to -5 c and pull a vacuum for 18-24 hours.

The vacuum pulls from above the cold trap which also has a drain valve for the condensate. There is a gas port which allows you to flow inert gas to maintain a desired environment in the chamber. Pressure relief valves ensure you don’t go past the 80 psi mark.

Easy access manhole doors make it similar to opening a vacuum oven.

Any questions?

8 Likes

Yes. Can you teach me how to fabricate one? I don’t need as much capacity as you’ve built into yours. Is it economical to make it with a smaller tank?

Side question:

Why are rosin presses going up in price instead of down?

1 Like

Influx of chinese crap on the market vs. american made quality presses. The majority are repaints of alibaba presses

1 Like