H2O2 shown as probable cause of rapid crashing "Medusa Stone"

Balance is not up for that…had less than 10mg to work with for that sample….and now I’m out.

1 Like

Dang. So how exactly did you isolate this in the first place? How can you get more?

4 Likes

Magi: what would ever make you think “co-crystal”?

“So how exactly did you isolate this in the first place?”

It emerged from nonPolar butane , …i.e., butane works…

Let’s not over think things here:

The wide variety of effects associated with a competition between intra- and intermolecular H-bonding can be illustrated with salicylic acid. In the simplest case of salicylic acid crystals, the carboxyl groups of the molecules form dimers while their hydroxyl groups form intramolecular H-bonds **This structure remains qualitatively valid in an aprotic solution when the dimer is deprotonated. **
(Now that is interesting)
In contrast, when the number of competing interactions increases, the co-crystals of salicylic acid exhibit polymorphism and different solubility. These changes are critically important for pharmaceutical applications. Besides that, the intramolecular H-bond in salicylic acid derivatives can be controlled through intramolecular steric effects. In the crystalline salicylic acid, the O…O distances of this H-bond are about 2.62 Å Is this a general trend that can be expected for other molecules’ structures?

Did you say. “Co-crystal”…?

Seriously, for all Butane experts on 4200, WTF have you been thinking all these years extracting with Butane from trichomes containing in excess of 4000 organics…nice little R-COOH molecules floating around in liquid butane? Ready to crystallize by accident?

Magi…you’re good to go…keep thinking…please.
Cyclo…is just trying to confuse everyone with data.

4 Likes

We don’t extract with butane to get thca. There are better ways if all your looking for is thca. But if you want the fire terps, using other solvents doesn’t work really well.

6 Likes

I have yet to read through this thread, but we have been seeing a lot of fast crashing since I switched to GasLogix…

@GasLogix-Adam

Not sure if it’s related at all or not.

@lefties.cannabis I’d recommend the It’s Not Isobutane?! thread as well

There’s been myriad theories here, but I like the amine/NH3 theory the most

3 Likes

Their gas loves to fast crash. It was the gas i was using when my issue started, I still havent received any COA’s from them after asking for months so I’ve since switched to another supplier.

6 Likes

Who do you use now? Solvent direct?

Absolutely not. they are double the price of most suppliers i have talked to and charge a fat premium for delivery.

9 Likes

If anyone is interested in trying out the gas we carry at Xtractor Depot, we will provide a money back guarantee for any new customers if you have any issues. We changed our source for gas and haven’t had the issue come up for our customers. We also provide a 3rd party coa on every lot and clean the tanks like SD. Shoot me a DM if you’re interested!

4 Likes

Interesting, could you elaborate on changing your source? If anyone fully cracks what’s going on they get my business that’s for sure.

4 Likes

So you are not gonna say who you supply though?

1 Like

Shipping is always the issue. I buy 1 to 2 tanks at a time right now and dont like paying for pallets on fright trucks.

Do you have distribution in Seattle?

1 Like

We used to work with HPG but with our purchase volume, we found a new distributor for Diversified to work with. I think we tried to get you some gas down in San Diego right? The offer is still available if you’re interested.

What’s your shipping zip code? Let me see what it would cost to get it out there to you. Since we’re both on the west coast, it might be reasonable.

Have you guys heard the myth of the origin of crystalline glycerin?
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ja01654a014#

"…Glycerin is an important compound used as lubricant, food additive, and various industrial ingredients. However, no one has ever been able to crystallize it, leading to the belief that the solid state of glycerin does not exist.” (Figure 2.15)
But one day, a barrel-full of glycerin on a British cargo ship was found completely crystallized. When the news spread and the laboratories everywhere rushed to ask for a sample as seed crystal, something strange happened. Shortly after the discovery, the glycerins in factories and laboratories around the world began to crystallize all together even without seed crystals. That puzzled the chemists in all fields, because nothing had been changed in both production and storage conditions. A speculation that a seed crystal might have gotten in from someone’s clothing or skin was unlikely because carefully controlled experiments showed the same result. Today, glycerin can be crystallized easily by anyone by simply cooling it to seventeen degrees Celsius…… "

Well, this is the legend which has become famous recently and has even been on a cartoon. Professor Makoto Kikuchi of Osaka University in Japan has done an investigation on this case, and he arrived at an article published on the Journal of American Chemical Society in 1923. The article said:

“After the seed crystals had arrived it was found that crystallization practically always occurred when amounts of 100 g. of any laboratory sample were slowly warmed over a period of a day, after cooling to liquid-air temperatures. This occurred even when great precautions were taken to exclude the presence of seeds. However, it was found readily possible, by temperature manipulation alone, to produce crystalline or supercooled glycerol at will.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1923, 45, 93.

5 Likes

I use a local supplier Oregon supplier @ApisLabs

5 Likes

Does he have Medusa free gas?

Nobody has a consistent supply of clean gas.

4 Likes

I just read that cannabis can produce trace amounts of hydrogen peroxide.

So, if it was the hydrogen peroxide … wouldn’t this have happened before with the people who semi-mill/partially grind their material before they made diamonds in the past?

Especially live resin runs if the whole plant is un-cured and fresh frozen with the off chances of the cannabis still being in “defensive mode” with the resin glands going full force “defense mode” they’d be producing peak amounts of hydrogen peroxide in the glands would they not?

https://academic.oup.com/pcp/article/46/9/1578/1812749

Then again if the gas is contaminated with H202 then I wonder if there’s a reaction/interaction between the plants H202 and the H202 in the gas…

1 Like