Gummy Formulation - Recipes and References

It was a good question, good thinking, and your sharing of such will be useful to other readers.

That question is actually a critical one that shows you’ve made some serious progress learning to make gummies & are well on your way to being great. If you hadn’t put some serious work in, you wouldn’t have known to ask that.

1 Like

Hey thanks man that means a lot coming from you :pray::grin: gives me the confidence I’m going in the right direction at least and I feel like I’ve really made leaps and bounds with all this accumulated information on this beautiful site. I’m truly grateful for you all and I was sick of lurking in the shadows so decided to start contributing haha :joy: I think I’m really honing in on things and man it’s been fun honestly. I never thought I’d have so much fun with all this.My next purchase is a control freak induction or something similar that can measure by the degree. Wondering if anyone can chime in about what induction burner works best for them. Another thing off topic I’m curious on what everyone’s preference on company’s for flavoring is (preferably natural)

1 Like

Has anyone used something similar to this? Or know of any companies that make a heated sleeve for a stainless steel confectionary funnel? I’m currently pour and scraping but there are some flavors I could benefit from using the funnel. At first I was just thinking of using the funnel and then came up with the thought there must be a heated sleeve that’s made for it based off the idea from the cart farmer gun. Here’s a couple pictures of one I found over in the UK it looks like but it’s literally like a grand lol

5 Likes

Everywhere I read is telling me to bloom gelatin in cold water…should I start blooming in warm water with whatever kind of liquid I’m trying to use to bloom? I.e. water/ puree/ or something like applesauce I’ve been meaning to experiment with? If you bloom in warm water what is your exact process for blooming? Like what’s the exact temp you use? I’m starting to think blooming warm might be the way to go for more clarity?
I’m gonna buy a sous vide for sure very soon here

I Use 1 part gelatin, 2 parts room temp water(by weight in grams). Pour your water into a prepared sous vide bag. Pour the gelatin in and mix quickly. Vacuum seal the bag and toss into your sous vide bath at 150f. I use a clip to hold my bag to the lip of the tub to keep it from moving around. Depending on on your batch size, in about 45 minutes, it should be a clear, light golden/amber liquid, fully bloomed and ready to go into your syrup/sugar slurry.

1 Like

works well… triple nozzle squueze bottle, or flood and scrap are quicker imo

2 Likes

Should look like this.

1 Like

When you say works well what exactly are you referring to? A heated sleeve that goes over the confectionary funnel? I already pour and scrape now and agree that’s the best method for productivity. I do have flavors customers are requesting that will have multiple layers of flavors and different colors so that’s why I’m asking about the heated sleeve for the funnel.

Thanks for the clarification ! Much appreciated I’ll have to give that a try when I get my sous vide here

I honestly haven’t tried a flood and scrape with gelatin. I feel like it would lose temp too quickly and get stringy and sticky mess? I guess keeping the temp of the slurry a bit higher would help that a lot? Do you flood and scrape gelatin?

1 Like

I personally flood and scrape and when I first started I started off pouring around 150 and that was waaay too cool. Realized I need to be up around 190 to pour and actually have time to work the batter into all the cavitys

1 Like

I also use gelatin 225 bloom (grassfed too for added health benefits)

Pouring hotter also prevents skimming on the surface of the mold between the cavitys because when I first started I was getting a big interconnected thin film of gelatin I would have to pry the gummies apart from

1 Like

That would be one of my concerns as well. I also keep my slurry a bit on the cool side, rarely above 180f.

1 Like

250 bloom for me.

1 Like

here is a video of the triple pour.

4 Likes

i do not flood and scrape - tried it, didnt like it as much. use this triple or a depositor.

3 Likes

I’ve had an idea on how to make layered gummies for a while, I think a 2 part mold would work well(ignore that middle section, that would be for filled gummies)

5 Likes

That’s a great idea! So basically start off pouring into base mold of how ever size then each additional mold that lays on top would be its own flavor/color fill to the top then stack the next one? Excellent idea

1 Like

What depositor are you using?

1 Like