Gummies: add straight distillate heated up or does it need to be cut with something?

Oh come on. You know you enjoyed it too. :wink:

4 Likes

I will say… it was a sweet joke…

Ok now that was a bad one I am sorry for anyone reading this lol

1 Like

I have some other tricks and tips. I don’t regard myself as someone who should be teaching or consulting in candy because I’m a bitchass noob in that field. I can do a quick writeup on some basic definitions and ingredient usage theory if people were interested (same set of info I pulled capol from). I just figured if I know it, it’s probably general knowledge.

Idk where to post it if I did because there’s so many candy threads. If someone wants to direct where it would go and if there’s any interest at all and I’ll dig it up and type it up later. Just keep ya boi in mind for job leads is all I ask in return :wink:

14 Likes

Thank you for this awesome gummy posting.

That’s amazing!

1 Like

Back from North Florida,

Please only use as a point of reference. None of it has sources and is coming from hand written 3 year old notes. If you benefit from these notes, great. I cannot be sure if it is accurate so use at your own risk.
Definitions and random stuff from my notes on gelatin gummy production:

Color and Flavor

• Synthetic or artificial - FDA Tested (or “FD&C”) - there exist 2 reds, 2 yellows, 2 blues and 1 green in this category* (no source).
    Do not use pastes (in use with fat based products)

• Natural - From fruits or vegetables

• Lakes - used for opaque or whiting effect. White gummis TiO2.

• Flavor - Pick a flavor house, low MOQ (Short shelf life); When talking to flavorists, use known flavors to describe the flavor like “sour trolli worm apple, or trolli peach ring, or whatever” they know how best to get you closest to there and won’t look down on you for this. They’ll usually send out a few samples. For example I used a flavor house, I wanted oil soluble peach flavoring. They sent out a green (fresh) peach flavor and a cooked peach flavor, which I formulated & tried before I made a bigger order of something that has a short shelf life.

Flavoring;

• Natural - Natural flavor only; usually not as strong tasting as artificial
  • Natural WNOF - Natural with other natural components (example strawberry + redberry)
  • Natural/artificial - Mix of natural flavors with artificial flavors
  • Artificial - FDA approved, lab made flavoring

Flavoring

• PG - traditional flavoring
  • Alcohol - will evaporate if used with gummi formulation, try to avoid.
  • Oil Soluble - will work for tinctures and gummis, used mostly for hard candies. (will not evaporate)

Keep flavors in cold room, as a liquid (do not freeze). Refrigeration can be done if mfg allows.

Can add or cut in a small amount of pectin for stability (to your gelatin mix)

Acid is for:

• flavoring
  • in pectin is used for gelling
  • commonly citric acid
  • too much will invert sugar
  • use as 50/50 water citric acid solution
  • Sour sanding - can use malic, lactic, fumaric, tartaric acids for different “punches”
  • Sour - Citric/malic or citric lactic for a long lasting sour taste

Gelatin:

• a protein from animal collagen
  • Pork (porcine) vs. Beef (bovine) * can be halal or kosher
  • Type A comes from an acidic process, type B comes from a basic process.
  • Best for use in gummis that are Not kosher or halal: Type A, pork
  • Loves to foam up.

Bloom:

• Describes gelatin strength, rated in numbers starting at 0 and moving up in increments of 25 to 300.
  • Example of bloom - 250 pig skin is what trolli would be like.
  • a good product would be like Nitta 275 bloom, low viscosity, good for depositing high brix solutions “AOAC METHOD”

Gelatin and Mesh Sizing:

• Finse mesh + hot water = foam
  • Larger numbers are finer meshes
  • 7-8 Coarse mesh with cold (or room temp) water is good to start around
  • 2: 1 water to gelatin (for beginners until you know your spot); transfer to hot water bath while covered at 60-75degC to dissolve. Then Drop to 50-55degC and hold.
  • Can be made the day before.

Skipping recpies, brix and SOP bc the other threads covered it better.

Gel Strength:

• as gelatin sits at high temps, it breaks down (and with pH too)
  • softer gummi

Depositing:

• 70degC for higher viscosity
  • 80degC for lower viscosity
  • always try to avoid tailing of gummy to gummy, temperature of solution can influence this
  • nozzles should be slightly hotter than depositor hopper
  • Good molds = less labor, less time spent on de sticking product
  • Bad molds = more labor, loss in product
  • Angled molds = easier pop

Finishing your product:

• Sugar sanding vs. Oiling
  • Oil is for anti-stick purpose; makes gummis shiny; flowability of gummies in bag
  • Oil can be palm, canola, MCT
  • A little bit of wax (carnuba, bees) can be used
  • Tumblers are generally used to surface treat candy
  • 12" Tumbler = lab scale, 20" tumbler = about 20k/day, 48" tumbler = larger scales
  • tumble for a few minutes with addition method of choice (wagner paint sprayer, or ladel, or air brush, or spray head of choice.
  • Sugar sanding look is determined by mesh size
  • 10# is coarse and crunchy like you’d find on a traditional gumdrop, 20# is coarse sugar + chalky look, 60# is less coarse, shimmery.
  • Can be colored, can be cut with acid for sour effect, encapsulated prevents water adsorption
  • Coated acids: Coated acids
  • Edible glitter exists but tread lightly on making things look child friendly or attractive

Curing:
Temp - 75 to 95 deg F
Humidity - 35%
Lots of air, perforation on trays for air flow below

De-moulding:

23 Likes

Encapsulated citric acid ftw

4 Likes

Nice post! Added this to the tricks of the trade thread and bookmarked it :call_me_hand:

6 Likes

Bumping so more people can bookmark it lol

2 Likes

have you gone through the tricks of the trade thread top to bottom?

3 Likes

Continuing from where I left off :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s interesting… because you begged for them…

LITERALLY BEGGED…

Edit…

And I told you to fuck off…

Funny how things work out…SHIT MAGNETIC

Lol

@MillerliteRN well I did hear from several people that your gummies were hard and definitely not anything special (no offense)… Also heard you were tryna slang em for like 1.30 a pop which is litterally the most expensive I’ve ever heard of for any kind of gummie

You’re on some high horse when your “recipe” is litterally what a highschool kid would come up with if they were to Google “how to make gummies in my mom’s kitchen” using jello packets and gelatin is amateur and un-inspiring.

And as for the “show your show” you built a kitchen… whoopty fucking doo I’ve built out kitchens for people all over the country, it’s litterally basic work anyone is capable of.

I definitely wish u success but also hope u can re find your humility. No reason to ostracize yourself here just b.c. for some reason you think you’re better than everyone all of the sudden.

13 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

7 Likes

I’m a lurker on here, rarely post… but i tried out @MillerliteRN 's recipe and ended up with hard leather made of gelatin and sugar. Ended up giving them all to a buddy going thru a rough patch. He appreciated it. I’m not the type of person to bash someone’s work, especially on their thread. But this is a different thread about gummy discussion.

2 Likes

Looks like a brick of silicon

Or aerogel

I think the recipe is a perfect starting point for people that don’t know anything about making gummies. It’s where I started and through lots of modifications (and pectin) we ended up with a product that people love!

3 Likes

I personally tried the recipe on smaller scale. Used starburst jello instead of jolly rancher.

Gummies came out absolutely perfect on the first batch, super soft and taste really good. Not sure about any commercial application of this recipe, but I can confirm it personally worked for me.

1 Like

Yeah, needless to say I didn’t want to put my name behind this product… still lurking for a legit gummy SOP. Right now I’m stuck drip dosing store candies, that’s what the people want in my market.

Working on figuring out a better way to melt albanese and remold them into cubes, without sugar sanding. Or making nerds ropes…

The coating is gonna be the key thanks @NewLevelProcess for that info drop! Are Capol products available to the general public? It appears they are B2B, wholesale.

2 Likes

Their MOQs are pretty high for someone small scale but the stuff is cheap enough that it may not be a concern.

1 Like