Grower claims no sulphur was used... But I can taste it?

So I got some GG x GMO from my extractor, and when I dab a nice glob of it (on the rig or in the puffco) I get that distinct egg-fart flavor in the background. I asked my extractor for a replacement and he’s all good with it, but he says he spoke with his grower and the grower claims the plants weren’t sprayed with anything, and he doesn’t use sulphur burners. So is the grower lying? Or is there some fart terp I’ve been missing out on lol. Or is there any way sulphur or a light sulphur flavor could make its way into an extract?

1 Like

Can also be from bad gas

1 Like

99/10 times growers lie about what they spray.

29 Likes

GMO is rich is sulfur compounds much like any “garlic” smelling strains. Just because a lab doesn’t test for them doesn’t mean they don’t naturally accur.

1 Like

Sulfur is an element and unless his plant is a fusion reactor, sulfur had to make it’s way into it somehow. It does serve an essential role in botany though. It could very well be as a result of genetics like @JonaaronbrayAzoth said above, only real way would to send it into a lab to identify the compounds present.

3 Likes

This is basic science. @SkyTraveller is dead on correct.

Plus on top of that, pretty much any properly grown strain with GMO in it smells like that. I ran Bermuda Shorts last year which is largely GMO dominant and the jar with the little bit left still reaks like that.

Also also, i’ve never heard of a co2 burner making the nug taste bad, normally if there’s that much carbon buildup on the burners it just simply won’t work.

2 Likes

Dissolve a piece in ethanol, place some clean copper in and see if it turns black after a couple days

9 Likes

I thought you were looking for blue with sulphur and copper?

Fart terps are the most volatile

4 Likes

If its Sulphur, the grower lied. Gmo is a tough strain to distinguish but I could hit a dab and definitely distinguish an egg fart Sulphur taste vs dank gmo

4 Likes

Depending on where he got his solvent from it could have been a solvent that had mercaptans still in there. Wasn’t non-odorized, or using cans, basically

3 Likes

I think it forms sulfide, not sulfate

This was a pretty bad tasting sample, from the OR high times cup winner no less. ~5:1 ethanol v:v and a fresh penny. Someone recommended using dilute muriatic acid to clean the copper first, but it worked fine like this

3 Likes

I think the sulfur gets oxidized, eventually. Sulfides would form under reducing conditions.

Make it a couple hours :hushed:

1 Like

none of his other stuff has this problem (thankfully) so I’m thinking we just have a lying grower on our hands simple and plain. Sadly. Also hello Kung Pow fam :facepunch:

4 Likes

Has anyone tried the same penny expirement on concentrate that doesn’t have this off flavor to make sure the reaction you’re seeing on the penny is in fact between the copper and sulfur?

9 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. If you leave bho on a metal scraper tool or a razor blade it corrodes/tarnishes the steel and turns it black. Extracts may just be corrosive to metals.

I’ve never had a concentrate tarnish a metal dabber over time, and I don’t clean my personal dabber often (unless it gets anything other than wax on it)

But that being said I’m gonna clean this penny and put it in another jar of ethanol with some extract that has none of the sulphur flavor.

1 Like

Try it with a razor blade that you’ve cleaned with alcohol. Any spot where extract is left on the blade for a few days will be reddish black underneath.

4 Likes

The other reason a penny might not cut it for this test, unless it was minted before 1982, is because their like 95% zinc these days.

A product like Chore Boy copper scrubbers on the other hand is claimed to be uncoated 100% copper. Might be a better catalyst for the desired reaction.

7 Likes