Grow More Food

Just wondering if that’s the main costs. Chick and feed

1 Like

The feed is the bulk of the cost. 50 birds to 5 lbs clean weight is 500 lbs of food.
I get the chicks for $1.05

4 Likes

How it started:

And how it’s going now:

Who needs rows and space to access the plants?! Apparently not me…

Almost time to be overwhelmed with daily harvesting, too.

19 Likes

Just happen I’m looking at this one.

11 Likes

Beautiful, I would rather see these than canna pics.
What variety is the first pic of fruits? The brown/purple ones? Have you seen khangstar? I enjoy his videos

4 Likes

The first pic is the Purple Bubblegum. I have a lot of bubblegum varieties. The purple bubblegum is one of the most visually spectacular plants I have. The calyx on these peppers scares me. I’m excited to see how much they hurt me once ripe.

I’m really not a YouTube watcher, so I’m unfamiliar with Khangstar (and a lot of other amazing chile growers/pepperheads). I’ll check him out, though.

Cannabis and chiles are likely my favorite plants to grow and look at. I love appreciating them both! I’m only growing chiles, for now, so that’s all I’ve got pictures of. I have posted a bunch more shots in:

I may post up a few more later tonight.

3 Likes

Same gardens as my OP here

13 Likes

View from Mt deck. Wish I had more land I could access. Fucking 9-5 still got me.
My deck. The edit. I’m in the mountains tho.

6 Likes

My tomato’s fucked my potatoes and had some bastard offspring like a pomato or something…

2 Likes

Almost looks like an eggplant (another nightshade/relative). Have any of them growing nearby? Never heard of cross pollination between tomatoes and potatoes. Grow the fruit to fully ripe amd see how they do. May be marketable and novel.

1 Like

Got a cool banana pepper. @Akoyeh

2 Likes

Pink Berkeley tie die up top, eva purple ball is the pink, and blush is the yellow cherry. They are all open pollinated. Eva purple ball is over a hundred years old and still my pick if I only had one heirloom tomato plant. The other two varieties are more recent creations.

5 Likes

Hope this doesn’t mean an early end to the season! These here are a month early…

2 Likes

We got a frost last night…not a heavy one, but my cars all had ice on the windows. All my plants seem alright, basil looks a little bummed.

On top of that, we have had the craziest storms this past couple weeks, thunder and lightening like I haven’t really seen in this area, and the amount of rain it’s dumping is crazy on its own…

3 Likes

Sippin that @AgTonik

8 Likes

We got frost too!

2 Likes

Foraged the chanterelles, found this cool little cluster.

Grew the rest

1 Like

If you have a compost pile ou can save a lot of money on feed by just letting the chickens roam your pile and pick the bugs off.

Could build a vermicompost bin and harvest worms for your chickens. I’ve read a lot about black soldier flies being extremely good at eating decomposing animal scraps, the larvae from BSF would be a nice snack for ur chicks.

5 Likes

The egg layers love the compost pile. The meat birds are lazy and just want the feeder as they get bigger.

5 Likes

There is a pioneer/survivalist trick to feed chickens with nothing in the summer. If you catch their shit in a pan, mix in water and let sit in the shade, maggots can be grown in the pan and fed back to the chickens.

5 Likes