Grinding 1/2-1lb of material

Anyone have any quick contraptions for grinding up to a lb of biomass quickly?

Right now I’m manually grinding up my material prior to packing into spools for extraction, and it’s a kind of a pain. I’m using a mesh strainer and forcing it through. It’s a good consistency, but I’m wondering of there is something out there that can handle this volume of materials a little faster.

Looking online, I can either find tiny hand grinders, or there’s machines to handle larger volumes, but nothing that handles about 1/2-1# of material.

As always, thanks in advance!

1 Like

I might be missing the mark here with what you are looking for, however I know Custom Cones makes a nice grinder that’ll do 1 lb/minute. Not sure how fine you are trying to grind it or how much money you want to spend, if any. There’s is $2500. Works great for pre-roll making not sure about your application.

1 Like

Haha, yeah, that’s a little too big for me. I’m only doing personal batches, and it’s only about a lb max I’m grinding. Money isn’t too much of a deal, however this is all for personal use so I try to minimize purchases.

It would be nice to do my whole batch in a minute though!

Thanks for the input, but that machine is much too big for me.

1 Like

75 dollar vacuum leaf mulcher @curious_minor. End result

or a blender if you wanna minimize cost. Use a glass carafe one not plastic

9 Likes

Holy shit, I have one of these already, just needs a good cleaning.

Thanks man.

It’s sometimes so hard when the answers are right in front of you I suppose.

You rock @RedundantAlexithymia!

3 Likes

If your running nugs, I freeze them over dry ice in bags and smash them by hand. Shit gets really brittle when it’s that cold.

10 Likes

I used to do that, but where I’m at now, dry ice is freaking hard to come by so I don’t get any until the day of extracting, and I pack my tubes in advance.

It’s so weird to me, I can only get dry ice from a single florist here, and they must wonder wtf I’m doing with 15lbs of dry ice every 6 weeks or so lol.

2 Likes

which mulcher is that?

sec ill give ya a link @The_Lone_Stiller

edit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SCZH4F9/ref=psdcmw_553910_t3_B07ZRB3H26#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

1 Like

cheers @RedundantAlexithymia

1 Like

More great suggestions to be found under Biomass Grinding at various scales?

Don’t forget to check the links below the first post. They point at all the other threads the above link has been posted in (so chances are they are relevant :wink: )

4 Likes

That mulched looks great for small batches!

Another landscaping tech for larger batches: you can put biomass in a garbage can and hit it with a string trimmer. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! For some reason I’m dumb today and didn’t see that thread when I searched.

I do remember that thread now, and went with a strainer, it’s a great consistency for packing, but I’m mushing it through there with my hand, which is painfully slow. I thought about a ricer as well, but still would take a little too long (I’m lazy, and impatient, I know).

I’ll probably rig up something like this if I don’t like the mulcher or blender:

@clouds was kind enough to point this out to me awhile ago, it’s something @Graywolf posted back in the day, preferably I’d build with a smaller hole size though.

Just was hoping to save a little time and not have to diy this.

3 Likes

I think I have an answer to my question now, as always, thanks every one!

1. Mulcher/blender with glass jar.

If not to my liking

1. Build manual nug musher.

In both scenarios, I’ll be drying my materials, and if I do the screen, I’ll freeze the material in my deep freezer prior to processing. But would you freeze things for the blender or mulcher? I’m thinking no?

1 Like

You can also formalize that arrangement with a 55 gal hdpe barrel, a large drill, and a rod with 2dozen zip ties on it…

4 Likes

Make sure you get SS wire mesh, 1/4" has worked for me, doesnt pulverize but gets it small enough.
If u wanna get fancy they have ptfe lined wire mesh

3 Likes

Thanks for reminding me to get ss if I go this route. I was just gonna get galvanized mesh from home dumpster. Which is super dumb I’d imagine.

I see some 5 mesh sheets that will work, in case anyone else is interested:

TIMESETL 304 Stainless Steel Woven Wire 5 Mesh - 12"X24" (30cmX60cm) - Metal Security Guard Garden Screen Cabinets Mesh https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S67DPPS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XXV6Db40NX2RC

5 mesh is 4.5mm hole size btw, which I just found out.

1 Like

Sounds like a trash can and a weed wacker :sob::rofl::joy:

If you’re only doing lb’s just get a big coffee grinder.

1 Like

They gum up pretty fast from my experience. I burned a couple of the smaller ones out before.

2 Likes