Goodbye ice-water hash, hello dry ice kif? (Nope...)

I recall a cannabis extraction equipment manufacturer was touting something similar a few years ago. But I think they were using liquid nitrogen. I thought it was by Precision Extraction, but I can’t find the IG post. Does anyone know what I’m referencing?

For almost a decade, the hop industry has been using liquid nitrogen to produce ‘cryo hops.’ While not the same thing, the goal is the same: preserve the fresh biomass chemistry. Aromatics and terpenoids are equally crucial for hops as for cannabis:

KroKif vs. dry sift kif (with optimized low temp hang drying):

Dr. Ethan Russo has a patent application for his KryoKif method. I was unable to find the patent so it must still be in review.

Dry ice kif + rosin press = :bowing_man:?

4 Likes

Looks like “The Resinator” but in a box. Oh it uses C02 not Ln2

4 Likes

Wow using dry ice for making kief… That’s revolutionary. Putting the exhaust for CO2 on the bottom of your box will exhaust the coldest atmosphere out of your box which is absolutely brilliant.

4 Likes

LOL, no one said it’s revolutionary:

In each trial, cannabis inflorescences were freshly harvested and quickly manicured by hand in order to remove stems and “sugar leaves” and to separate larger flowers into pieces. Starting weights were carefully measured. Half of the samples were dried and cured as per the above procedure, while the other half was treated by placement in a metal casserole dish on a bed of food grade dry ice pellets (Oxarc, Gresham, OR, USA, www.oxarc.com, accessed on 22 August 2021) within a polyethylene cooler (Gott 48 Quart/45.4 L) and a metal tray placed above with an additional bed of dry ice. The cooler’s drain plug was opened to allow full egress of CO2 and water vapor and allowed laminar flow of vapor over and through cannabis inflorescences in order to maximize penetration and lyophilization effects.

My point was that scaling and batch-to-batch consistency are the bottlenecks for commercial use. Besides the study I shared, I have not seen any studies comparing dry ice kif to dry-sift kif, with complete lab analyses. I think that warrants a thread and discussion.

I would like to see a study comparing dry ice kif to ice-water hash. If anyone has data or can share a study I would be thankful.

2 Likes

After dry ice vapor exposure (1 h vs. 48 h), the cannabis flower material was quickly reweighed and placed within the drum of a sieving cylinder device (150 g model Pollinator®, Pollinator Company, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, https://pollinator.nl, accessed on 22 August 2021). This contained a spinning cylindrical drum with 150 µ perforations to allow egress of the largest capitate glandular trichomes.

The Pollinator unit was placed inside a chest freezer (0 °F/−18 °C), and the drum spun at 33 revolutions per minute (RPM, 5 min. for pilot samples, 20 min for subsequent trials). After treatment, inflorescences were reweighed, and trichome material (Kryo-Kief™) were collected for

Hey bro I wasn’t poking fun at you per se. I was just poking at the fact that a PhD would take the time to write something virtually useless to any one of us with experience.
Some of the dumbest people I’ve ever met had phds and some of the smartest people I’ve ever met never went to college. There’s a great deal of difference between educated and smart. And in my not so humble opinion, if you call yourself a doctor and you’re not a medical doctor you’re a bit of a pompous ass.

Just my two cents worth on this beautiful monday morning.

I hope everyone makes a crap load of money and has an awesome week.

14 Likes

The study, I believe, was more to compare and contrast. If all Ethan Russo wanted was to file a patent to make money, I doubt he would have published a paper. Although I guess publishing the paper can generate interest.

I don’t see why the concept is “virtually useless.” I haven’t seen anyone here claim to use or discuss the pros/cons of dry ice kif vs. ice-water hash. The biggest hurdle I see is scalability for the dry ice method. And I agree, it’s nothing new. Dry ice has been used in this way for decades. But having data to back up claims is always helpful and insightful.

Science is cumulative, so this study may help bring forth better solutions from other people.

I agree that having an advanced degree doesn’t mean someone is wise or highly intelligent. I have met many dumb scientists. But the two are not mutually exclusive. I have met many brilliant degreed scientists, just like I have met many brilliant self-taught scientists without degrees.

FWIW, a doctor (Dr.) is anyone with a doctorate (usually a P.h.D.). And in Latin, “doctor” means “teacher.”

4 Likes

What do you do with the live cryo kief after it’s separated from the plant?

Does it run well with hydrocarbon? Clogs?

Does it make good rosin? Does it need freeze drying first?

Nice to meet you, from one pompous ass to another

9 Likes

Please put in italics if you’re being sarcastic.

3 Likes

What he was saying is that dry ice hash sucks balls, mostly
Because it micronizes the brittle plant compounds and the kief is weak as fuck
Further more, test the material before ans the material and hash afterwards, there will be a lot of terpenes missing

3 Likes

I’m not disputing that fact I’m only stating that if you call yourself a doctor as opposed to a PhD and you’re not an MD…

4 Likes

Do you have before and after test results you could share?

I wonder why the kif would be weak compared to ice-water kif.

Will embrittle the bag too and you’ll most likely get micro plastic fibers in your hash doing this so you have to re-sieve anyways but hell if we’re talking dry ice hash what’s the difference between this janky method and the one op is suggesting.

Just no plastic contamination?

2 Likes

Good point. I guess that’s why in the paper they don’t use bags. The sifting is done with the Pollinator inside a deep freezer.

After dry ice vapor exposure (1 h vs. 48 h), the cannabis flower material was quickly reweighed and placed within the drum of a sieving cylinder device (150 g model Pollinator®, Pollinator Company, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, https://pollinator.nl, accessed on 22 August 2021). This contained a spinning cylindrical drum with 150 µ perforations to allow egress of the largest capitate glandular trichomes.

The Pollinator unit was placed inside a chest freezer (0 °F/−18 °C), and the drum spun at 33 revolutions per minute (RPM, 5 min. for pilot samples, 20 min for subsequent trials). After treatment, inflorescences were reweighed, and trichome material (Kryo-Kief™) were collected for

2 Likes

I do so mostly because of Dr Dre (who has not any PhD) and dr Jekyl. :laughing:

I got used to do it for administrative reasons, with customs or deliveries etc. Seems you get treated with some extra respect. People confuse us with MDs. :shushing_face:

8 Likes

I’ve never made dry ice kif. But I’d imagine a rosin press would be an excellent next step. I’m sure someone here could be more beneficial in answering your questions.

medical doctors actually first started calling themselves doctors to get more prestige

2 Likes

Just for argument sake.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

1 Like

I have. Not from live material however which is what the cryocann is designed for.